Chipotle Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- By Tom Jackson
- Jan 13, 2023
Chipotle Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese is a spicy take on an old favorite. It's blended with Mexican spices, poblano peppers and chorizo then topped with grilled cheese croutons. Cooked on the Yoder Smokers YS640s, Chef Tom creates a unique and flavor packed spin on this comfort food classic.
For the soup:
- 1 lb whole tomatoes - fire roasted
- 2 poblano peppers - fire roasted
- 9 oz Mexican chorizo
- 2 tbsp Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- Cattleman’s Grill Road House Seasoning
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can Ciao San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1-3 dried chipotles (depending on desired heat level)
- 1 qt unsalted vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Grilled cheese croutons, for garnish
Grilled cheese croutons:
- Bolillo roll
- Quesadilla cheese
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 500ºF, set up for direct grilling (diffuser removed). Install the regular cooking grates on the left side of the grill, directly over the flame and the Yoder Smokers Cast Iron Griddle installed on the right side of the grill, flat side up.
Place the tomatoes and poblano directly over the flame to char. Remove the tomatoes when they begin to burst open and soften. Remove the poblano when charred on all sides. Place the poblano in a bag or container to steam for about 10 minutes. Peel the skin from the poblanos. Discard the skin, seeds and stems. Set aside for later.
Preheat a Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven in the grill, directly over the flame. Brown the chorizo in the dutch oven. Remove the chorizo from the dutch oven when it’s darkened in color and all liquid is cooked out. Set aside for later.
Place the Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the same dutch oven. Add the mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery). Season with Cattleman’s Grill Road House Seasoning. Sweat the veggies until softened. Add the garlic. Cook one more minute. Add Ciao San Marzano Tomatoes, chipotles and veggie stock. Cook till chipotles are softened, about 45 min.
| You might also enjoy: French Onion Soup
When you remove the dutch oven, remove the grates over the fire, slide the griddle over to the left side of the grill and turn the heat down to 350ºF.
Transfer the soup to a blender or use an immersion blender. Add cilantro and sour cream to the soup and blend until smooth. Hold the soup warm in the dutch oven, covered with a lid.
| You might also enjoy: Stuffed Meatball Sandwich
Split the bolillo rolls for a sandwich. Stuff with quesadilla cheese. Melt the butter on the griddle. Cook grilled cheese on the griddle, smashing with a grill press to compress. Remove and dice into bite sized pieces.
Serve the chipotle tomato soup topped with the grilled cheese croutons, crumbled chorizo, a drizzle of sour cream and minced cilantro.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Cattleman's Grill Road House Steak and Beef RubAs low as
- Yoder Smokers Cast Iron Griddle$99.95
- Lodge 6-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch OvenAs low as
- Boos Block R02 Cherry Cutting Board, 24" x 18" x 1.5"$197.95
- Wusthof Classic Ikon 10" Super Slicer$200.00
- Chef Works Bronx Bib Apron$39.99
- CSP Black Disposable Nitrile Gloves, Extra Thick, 100-per boxAs low as