Classic Chicago Dog Recipe
- 8 Hot dogs (Use all beef hot dogs for best results)
- 8 Hot dog buns (Use poppy seed buns to be authentic)
- 8 tsp Chicago style relish
- 8 Kosher dill pickle spears
- 1 Pepperoncini or banana peppers, sliced (Use sport peppers to be authentic)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 Tomato cut into 8 wedges
- 8 tsp yellow mustard
Preheat your grill, such as the Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet cooker with GrillGrate inserts, to 350°F. While the grill is heating up, take some time and slice up your tomato wedges and dice the white onion. Be sure and use a good knife such as the Victorinox 8" Chef's Knife to cut the veggies. There is nothing worse than mangling a tomato with a dull knife!
Place the hot dogs on the grill. Make sure and watch them closely as they tend to cook very quick. Turn them a quarter turn as they brown, and as soon as they've taken on the color you want, they're good to go!
Build the hot dog from the bottom up. We layered Chicago style relish and yellow mustard first, then placed our all beef hot dog in place. Stack the tomatoes, sport peppers, onions, and pickle slice and you're ready to go!