Venison Summer Sausage
Chef Tom smokes up some classic Venison Summer Sausage with a mixture of 2/3 venison and 1/3 beef fat. Using these LEM seasonings makes sausage making incredibly simple, and they’re a great jumping off point for making a sausage just the way you like it. Enjoy!
- Grind the fat and venison together using a fairly small die (4.5 mm). Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix together the contents of the packet of LEM Backwoods Summer Sausage Seasoning & Cure with the recommended amount of water. Whisk to dissolve as much as possible. Pour the mixture over the ground meat and fat.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat the mixture on medium for 30-60 seconds until the mixture is tacky and holds together. Quickly mix in the high temp cheeses until well distributed. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
- Place two LEM 2 1/2" X 20" Fibrous Casings in warm water, and soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to your sausage stuffer, fitted with a wide stuffing tube. Remove the casings from the water, thread onto the stuffing tube. Fill the casing with the sausage, twist the end of the casing and tie off with butcher's twine. Repeat with the second casing.
- Place the sausages in the refrigerator on a wire rack (cooling rack). Let sit overnight.
The next day, preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 200°F. Place the summer sausages on the second shelf of the cooker and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Remove from the grill and place in the refrigerator to chill. Remove casing and slice to serve.
- Serving Size
- 2.21 oz
- per serving
- 1 grams
- 11 grams
- 24 grams
- 213 milligrams