Cheese Crusted California Breakfast Burrito
- By Tom Jackson
- Feb 22, 2022
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for a jalapeño and Cheese Crusted California Breakfast Burrito featuring smoked tri-tip, hash browns, eggs and so much more!
Cheese Crusted California Breakfast Burrito
Yield: 6 servings
For the Smoked Tri-Tip:
- Creekstone Farms Prime Tri-Tip Roast
- Heat Maverick’s Jalapeño Vice Hot Sauce
- Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning
For the Burritos:
- 1/4 cup beef tallow, divided
- 1 lb tater tots
- Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-tip Seasoning
- 3 small red onions, sliced
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
- 3 cups tri-tip beef, cooked & diced
- 12 eggs, beaten (immersion blender)
- 12 (10”) flour tortillas
- 3 cups Chihuahua cheese
- 3 avocados, halved, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups Holme’s Made Marty’s Fire Roasted Green Chile Salsa
- Heat Maverick’s Jalapeño Vice Hot Sauce, to taste
- 3 dozen thin sliced jalapeño rounds
- 4 1/2 cups shredded cheddar blend
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 250ºF. Set up the grill with a half depth shelf on top, a Yoder Smokers griddle over the fire (smooth side up) and the diffuser or diffuser door removed.
Trim any silver skin or excess hard fat from the surface of the tri-tip. Coat the surface of the tri-tip with Heat Maverick’s Jalapeño Vice Hot Sauce, then season with Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning.
Smoke the tri-tip on the second shelf of the grill, until it reaches an internal temperature of 125ºF. Remove from the grill. Wrap in foil to rest for 10 minutes. Dice into small pieces for the burrito.
Remove the second shelf of the grill. Increase the grill temperature to 450ºF.
Melt 2 tbsp beef tallow. Drizzle over the tater tots. Season with finely ground Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning. Spread evenly in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake on the right side of the grill (away from the fire) for about 15 minutes, until browned on the bottom. Flip, then keep cooking until fully crisped, about 5-10 minutes more.
When you place the pan of tater tots on the grill, also melt the remaining 2 tbsp of tallow on the griddle. Add the sliced onions to the griddle. Season with Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt, and let cook, tossing and turning occasionally, until softened and slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from the grill.
To build the burritos, start two portions by placing 1/2 -3/4 cup diced tri-tip on the griddle for each burrito. Toss to warm through and start to crisp the surface. Add tater tots and griddled onions to each portion. Chop and toss with a spatula and dough scraper.
Squeeze about two eggs worth of the beaten egg mixture around the perimeter of each portion of filling. Scrape and toss the eggs into the meat mixture as it cooks.
Place two tortillas on your work surface, overlapping like a Venn diagram. Place the filling from the griddle in the center. Add Chihuahua cheese, Holme’s Made Marty’s Fire Roasted Green Chile Salsa, Heat Maverick’s Jalapeño Vice Hot Sauce and half an avocado. Roll the tortillas tightly around the filling. Repeat for the other portion of filling.
You might also enjoy: Brisket Breakfast Taco
Place sliced jalapeño rounds in a row from front to back, on the griddle. Cover with about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar. Place the burrito on the cheese. When a crust has formed on the bottom, flip the burrito, lengthwise to coat the opposite side of the burrito in cheese. Remove when both sides are coated in crusted cheese and jalapeños.
For reference, each burrito contains:
1/2 cup diced tri-tip
1/2 sliced onion, griddled
8-10 tater tots
2 eggs, whisked
2 10” flour tortillas
1/2 cup chihuahua cheese, shredded
1/4 cup salsa
Heat Maverick’s Jalapeno Vice Hot Sauce
12 sliced jalapeno rounds
3/4 cup shredded cheddar blend
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Yoder Smokers Cast Iron Griddle$99.95
free shippingOut of stock
- Yoder Smokers 9" Half Depth Cooking Shelf, Stainless Steel$209.00
- ATBBQ Pan & Jerky Rack$19.99
- Boos Block R02 Cherry Cutting Board, 24" x 18" x 1.5"$197.95
- Shun Classic 6" Boning/Fillet Knife$139.95
- Shun Classic 8" Kiritsuke$179.95
- Wusthof 4-Piece Barbecue Tool Set$150.00Out of stock
- Chef Works Portland Bib ApronAs low as
- ATBBQ New Era 9Fifty Flat-bill Snapback Hat$29.99Out of stock