Paella on the Grill
- By Tom Jackson
- Dec 29, 2020
Ring in the new year in style with Paella on the Grill! Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Charcoal Grill for this Spanish classic!
Yield: 6 entrée servings or 12 side servings
- 1/4 cup Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups yellow onions, small dice
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, sliced
- 1 cup Spanish chorizo, small dice
- 1 tbsp Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt
- 1 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 (28 oz) can Ciao San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups bomba or arborio rice
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut 1” long
- 1 1/2 cups sweet peppers, sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 6 cups chicken stock
- pinch saffron threads
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails on or off
- 8 oz mussels, rinsed
- 8 oz little neck clams
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges, for serving
Combine the saffron and vegetable stock in a pot. Bring to a simmer, then keep warm.
Preheat your grill for medium-high heat (400ºF) direct grilling. Place a Lodge 15” Carbon Steel Skillet (or paella pan) on the grill to preheat.
When the skillet is hot, add the Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, chicken, chorizo, paprika and Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt. Sweat onions until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the green beans, peppers and garlic. Cook one more minute.
Add the tomatoes and wine. Cook until liquid is nearly all cooked out, about 15 minutes.
Add the rice, distributing evenly. Pour the hot stock evenly all around the pan. Cook approximately 15 minutes, until the rice is softened.
You might also enjoy: Reverse Seared Beef Tenderloin and Grilled Shrimp
Nestle the mussels into the rice and place the shrimp on the surface. Cook another 10-15 minutes until the mussels and clams open and the shrimp becomes opaque. The rice should have absorbed all of the liquid.*
Serve paella with parsley and lemon wedges.
*If at any point the vegetable stock is completely absorbed and the skillet looks dry, add a little water to prevent scorching.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife$169.95
- Weber Lighter Cubes$5.49