Experience the ultimate Thanksgiving dinner with Chef Tom's tantalizing recipe for turkey. Enjoy the perfect combination of smoky wood-fired flavor, brined with cider and spices, and roasted to crispy perfection on the incomparable Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill.
Traditional Spatchcocked Thanksgiving Turkey
Rated 3.9 stars by 13 users
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for a Traditional Spatchcocked Thanksgiving Turkey! The turkey is prepared spatchcock style, then brined in a mixture of apple cider and holiday spices & herbs and roasted on the grill!
- 14 lb turkey
- 2 jars Sweetwater Spice Classic Holiday Turkey Bath
- 1 gallon water
- 1 gallon apple cider (or juice)
- 1 cup Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Salt
- Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero Seasoning
ATBBQ Traditional Spatchcock Thanksgiving Turkey Kit
Get the kit for this recipe
- Spatchcock the turkey. To take the backbone out, place the bird breast side down. Cut along both sides of the backbone with kitchen shears, from one opening of the cavity to the other. Snip the breast bone at the neck end of the bone to break the breast bone. Flip the bird over, cut side down, and press down on the breasts to flatten.
- Place the Sweetwater Spice Classic Holiday Turkey Bath in a 22 quart Briner Bucket. Rinse out the bottles and add that liquid, as well. Add 1 cup Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Salt, one gallon of water and one gallon of apple cider to the bucket. Whisk vigorously for a minute to dissolve the salt.
- Place the spatchcocked turkey in the Briner Bucket. Submerge fully and lock plate in place to keep submerged. Transfer the bucket to your refrigerator and let soak for 1 hour per pound (14 lb turkey = 14 hour brine).
- Remove the turkey from brine. Pat dry. Place on a wire rack over a sheet pan. Let sit open and uncovered in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours to dry out the skin.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 325ºF, set up for indirect grilling/smoking.
Place the turkey on a wire rack over a sheet pan lined with foil. Transfer to the second shelf of the grill. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 155ºF in breasts, about 2-2.5 hours. Remove and rest for 20-30 minutes before slicing to serve.
- Serving Size
- 10.29 oz
- per serving
- 1.2 grams
- 50.9 grams
- 24.1 grams
- 722 milligrams