How to Make Naan
- By Tom Jackson
- Mar 24, 2023
Chef Tom shares his tips & techniques for creating pillow soft, perfectly browned, butter naan bread on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill!
- 1 cup (227g) warm water
- 1 tbsp (9g) Caputo Dry Yeast
- 1/4 tsp (1g) white sugar
- 3 1/2 cups (500g) All Purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (12g) Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (4g) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (200g) plain full fat Greek yogurt
- 10 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
Combine the warm water, yeast and sugar in a cup and stir. Let the yeast bloom for 5-10 minutes until foamy.
Combine all remaining ingredients (except the butter) in a food processor. Pour the water/yeast into the processor, as well. Blitz just until the mixture balls up above the blade and works its way around the walls of the food processor, about 10 seconds.
Remove the dough from the food processor and transfer to an oiled container. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
Turn out the dough on your work surf and divide into 10 equal portions (about 95g each). Roll into balls and transfer to an oiled sheet pan. Cover and let double in size once again.
| You might also enjoy: Grilled Salmon Shawarma Wrap
Preheat your Yoder smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 475ºF with the diffuser removed and a Yoder smokers Cast Iron Grill installed over the fire box, flat side up.
Using a rolling pin, roll each ball out on a floured surface until 1/8”-1/4” thick. Stack the rolled out discs, dividing them with parchment paper.
| You might also enjoy: Chicken Shawarma
Transfer a couple of discs of dough to the griddle. Let the naan cook until it begins to bubble and the bottom browns in spots, about 45 seconds. Flip and brown the opposite side. The naan should puff as it cooks. Remove when browned, but not crispy.
Immediately brush or spread the naan with ghee on both sides. Stack in a container or foil to keep warm.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Caputo Dry Yeast$4.95
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Yoder Smokers Cast Iron Griddle$99.95
free shippingOut of stock
- Vitamix A2500 Ascent Series BlenderAs low as
- Vitamix 12-Cup Food Processor Attachment with SELF-DETECT®$199.95
- ATBBQ Pan & Jerky Rack$19.99
- Boos Block R02 Cherry Cutting Board, 24" x 18" x 1.5"$197.95
- Wusthof 4-Piece Barbecue Tool Set$150.00Special Price
- All Things Barbecue Nitrile GlovesAs low as