Chef Tom fires up the Napoleon Grills rotisserie for grilled Chicken Shawarma. Marinated chicken thighs are shaved thin to serve with garlicky Toum sauce.
Rated 5.0 stars by 3 users
Chef Tom shares a recipe for a rotisserie! This succulent recipe for Shawarma chicken shows you how to marinate to perfection, then grill up tender. Toum sauce adds a garlicky kick that will have your mouth watering
- 4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion, halved, peeled
Cattleman’s Grill Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
3/4 cup Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup Killer Hogs TX Brisket Rub
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled, halved, germ removed
1 tbsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup avocado oil (or other neutral flavored oil)
1/4 cup Colonial Chile Infused Oil
For the marinade:
For the Toum:
- Combine all marinade ingredients in the Vitamix Blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place the chicken thighs in an 8 Quart Briner Bucket. Pour the marinade over the chicken and mix well to coat all thighs. Place the lid on the Briner Bucket and transfer to the refrigerator. Marinate overnight.
- To make the Toum, place the garlic cloves and Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt in a small food processor. Process until the garlic forms a paste, scraping down the sides as needed.
- With the processor constantly running, add one tablespoon of lemon juice, then slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup avocado oil.
- Add one more tablespoon of lemon juice, then slowly drizzle in another 1/2 cup avocado oil.
- Stop the food processor. Scrape down the sides. Add the remaining lemon juice and continue processing. Drizzle in the 1/4 cup Colonial Chile Infused Oil. When all oil and lemon juice is incorporated, stop the processor and taste for seasoning. Thin with water, as needed.
- Set up a spit rod for rotisserie cooking, placing one for in place. Skewer one half of the onion onto the spit rod and press down into the fork. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade, one by one, threading them onto the spit rod, so they lay flat on top of one another. When all thighs are on the spit, skewer the remaining half of the onion onto the rod. Slide the other fork into the halved onion and chicken. Press the chicken together to form one compact roast of meat, centered on the spit rod.
- Place the spit rod in place on the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB. Turn on the rotisserie motor to begin spinning the spit rod.
- Light the rear burner, as well as the burners directly under the shawarma and set to high heat.
- Let the shawarma spin and cook until the outer layer is browned, about 30 minutes. Shave off a thin layer of the chicken, catching it in a pan under the spit rod. Continue cooking and shaving the meat off, checking on it every 15-20 minutes. Repeat this process until all the chicken is cooking and shaved off of the rod. You can also use the inner layers of the onions on the end that are softened, but not charred.
- Serve the chicken shawarma with the Toum, rice, hummus, flat bread, fresh veggies.
- Serving Size
- 5.51 oz
- per serving
- 9 grams
- 46 grams
- 48 grams
- 208 milligrams