Smoked Tri-Tip Tacos
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers Flat-top Charcoal Grill for Smoked Tri-Tip Tacos using the reverse sear method.
- 1 (2.5 -3 lb) Creekstone Farms Prime Tri-Tip Roast
1 (16 oz) bottle Sweetwater Spice Tres Chiles Fajita Bath
Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
- Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning
- 2 large poblanos
- 4 jalapeños
Beef tallow, as needed for cooking
- 2 large yellow onion, sliced 1/2” pole-to-pole
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt, to taste
- 30 corn tortillas
- 1 lb pepper jack, grated
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, minced
- 15 lime wedges
- Trim excess fat and any silver skin from the surface of the tri-tip roast. Place in a vacuum sealed bag with Sweetwater Spice Tres Chiles Fajita Bath. Vacuum seal the bag and let marinate for one hour. Remove from brine bath. Remove excess moisture from the surface with paper towels. Season the tri-tip with Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning and Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning.
- Set up the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flattop Charcoal Grill with a regular grate on one side and a Yoder Griddle on the other half.
- Light a chimney of lump charcoal. When the charcoal is hot, dump under the griddle. Add a couple of chunks of hickory for smoking.
- Place the tri-tip roast and peppers on the indirect side of the grill. Cook until the roast reaches 110ºF, about one hour. Smoke the peppers until the skin is loosened and flesh is softened, about 30 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a zip top bag to steam. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel the skins and discard the seeds and stems. Dice the flesh of the pepper.
- When the tri-tip reaches 110ºF, transfer to the griddle to sear on both sides. Remove from the griddle when the internal temperature reaches 120ºF.
- Remove the roast from the griddle. Rest 10 minutes. Slice and chop the beef into small pieces. Combine the diced smoked pepper with the chopped tri-tip.
- Cook the onions in beef tallow over the fond from the seared tri-tip. Season with a few Worcestershire sauce and kosher salt, to taste. Cook until softened and browned. Remove from grill.
- Warm the chopped beef and peppers on griddle. Move off to the side of the griddle.
Lay out tortillas on the griddle. Flip then melt pepper jack cheese on tortillas. Stack the cheesy tortillas double, then add the beef and peppers on top. Top with the griddled onions. Remove from the griddle.
- Top with queso fresco, avocado, cilantro and serve with fresh squeezed lime juice.
You might also enjoy: Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos
- Serving Size
- 9.57 oz
- per serving
- 37 grams
- 47 grams
- 26 grams
- 729 milligrams