Discover Chef Tom's newest recipe, tantalizingly oak smoked tri-tip and served with pinquito beans. Enjoy the best of summer and savor every bite!
Wood Fired Tri-Tip and Pinquito Beans
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flat Top Charcoal Grill for Wood Fired Tri-Tip & Pinquito Beans cooked over oak wood coals!
- 8 oz dried pinquito beans (such as Lompoc)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, large dice
- 1 large jalapeño, large dice
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 cup (8 oz) bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup smoked ham, diced
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Seasoning
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Road House Beef Seasoning
- 2 Anaheim peppers, roasted, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 cup Ciao San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Creekstone Farms Prime Tri-Tip Roast
Hoff & pepper smoken ghost
Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning
Holmes Made Marty’s Roasted Green Chile Salsa
- Small tortillas
- Soak the beans in cold water overnight.
- Rinse the beans in cool water.
- Place the beans in a Finex Dutch Oven. Add the onion, jalapeño, garlic and cover with cool water. Cover the dutch oven with a lid and simmer beans until tender, about 90 min. Reserve 1 cup water. Drain the rest.
- Build an oak wood fire in the charcoal tray of the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flat Top Charcoal Grill, using the log cabin method. Let the splits of oak burn down to coals and continue feeding the fire with splits of oak.
- Trim excess fat and silver skin from the surface of the tri-tip roast. Spread a thin layer of Hoff & Pepper Smoken Ghost Hot Sauce over the tri-tip. Season with Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning.
- Place a clean Dutch oven over the fire to preheat. Meanwhile, roast the Anaheims over the wood until charred on all sides. Transfer to a bag to steam. Peel and deseed. Dice flesh.
- Add bacon to the dutch oven. Render until crispy. Add the onion and ham. Season with Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Seasoning and Cattleman’s Grill Road House Beef Seasoning. Cook until the onion is softened. Add the fire roasted peppers and garlic. Cook 30-60 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce. Cook about 10 minutes at a simmer.
- Continue feeding your fire with splits of oak to keep the temperature up.
- When the tomato sauce has thickened, add the beans to the sauce and move to indirect heat to warm.
- Grill the tri-tip roast over coals until it reaches an internal temperature of 125ºF.
- Rest 10 minutes, then slice or chop.
- Serve with warm tortillas and salsa
- Serving Size
- 14.33 oz
- per serving
- 40.2 grams
- 49.6 grams
- 35.5 grams
- 1836 milligrams