Let your taste buds experience the ultimate smoky flavor with Chef Tom's Loaded Potato Salad recipe that is cooked over a charcoal fire! Enjoy the deliciousness of all the classic loaded baked potato ingredients in a creamy, savory potato salad - a perfect dish for any backyard BBQ!
Loaded Potato Salad
Chef Tom fires up the Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill for Loaded Potato Salad cooked over a charcoal fire! It's all of the greatness of a loaded baked potato in potato salad form!
- 2 1/2 lb red potatoes
- 3-4 tbsp avocado oil
Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All-Purpose Seasoning
- 12 oz or 8 slices thick sliced bacon
- 4 green onions
- 1/4 cup cheddar curds, diced
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp Kozlik’s Dijon Classique
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Pit Fire Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh baby dill, minced
Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, fresh ground, to taste
Ranch(ish) Potato Salad Dressing:
- Place the red potatoes in a dutch oven and cover with cool water. Cover with a lid and place on the infrared side burner of the Napoleon P500RSIB-3 Propane Grill. Turn the heat to high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, but maintain a simmer. Cook until tender when pierced with a toothpick, about 30 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the water and cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, install a Napoleon Cast Iron Charcoal Basket inside on one half of the grill. Fill with lump charcoal. Light the burners under the charcoal and let burn until the charcoal is lit, about 5-10 minutes, then turn the gas burners off.
- Lay out the bacon on a wire jerky rack over a sheet pan. Transfer the pan to the grill. Cook the bacon on the half of the grill opposite the charcoal, over gas burners set to medium heat. Cook until the bacon is rendered and crisp, about 20-30 minutes. Remove the bacon from the rack and place on paper towels to soak up excess bacon fat. When cool, dice into 1/4” thick pieces.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes in half. Place in a mixing bowl and toss with the avocado oil. Season with Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All-Purpose Seasoning. Transfer to the grill. Place the potatoes cut side down over the hot charcoal. Cook until golden brown. Flip. Cook until the skin is crisped and lightly charred. Remove from the grill to cool.
- Grill the green onions over the charcoal until slightly charred and softened. Remove from the grill and dice.
- To make the Ranch(ish) Potato Salad Dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grilled potatoes, grilled diced green onions, diced bacon, diced cheddar curds and crumbled feta. Mix well. Pour the Ranch(ish) Potato Salad Dressing over the mixture. Mix well to combine and coat.
Taste the mixture and season with Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All-Purpose Seasoning. Serve at room temperature or transfer to the refrigerator to serve cold later.
- Serving Size
- 6.92 oz
- per serving
- 20.6 grams
- 16.3 grams
- 30.6 grams
- 1004 milligrams