How to Smoke Trout & Smoked Trout Dip
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to show us How to Smoke Trout and how to turn your smoked trout into a Smoked Trout Dip!
- 3 rainbow trout
- 4 lb ice
- 2 qt water
1 1/2 cup Cattleman’s Grill Butcher House Brine
2 tbsp Reida Farm Kansas Wildflower Honey
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 8 oz (1 cup) smoked trout
- 4 oz smoked cream cheese
- 2 tbsp shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp chives, minced
1 tbsp Holmes Made Dad’s Spicy Garlic Dill Pickles
1 tbsp Holmes Made Dad’s Spicy Garlic Dill Pickles Juice
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
2 tsp Kozlik’s Triple Crunch Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Heat Maverick’s Anti Gravity Hot Sauce
Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Pepper, to taste
For the Smoked Trout Dip:
- To make the smoked trout:
- Place the ice in an 8 quart Briner Bucket.
- Combine the water, Cattleman’s Grill Butcher House Brine, Reida Farm Kansas Wildflower Honey, garlic, thyme and red chili flakes in a pot. Bring to a simmer. Whisk. Pour over the ice in the briner bucket. Stir to melt ice.
- Place trout in the brine. Lock plate to submerge. Brine in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours.
- Remove trout from brine. Rinse under cold water. Place on wire rack over pan. Place in refrigerator at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 175ºF.
- Place a Frogmat (woven silicone coated mat) on the second shelf of the grill. Place the trout & cream cheese on the Frogmat. Smoke until the internal temperature of the trout reaches 145ºF, about 3 hours. Remove the trout and cream cheese from the smoker.
- When the trout is cool enough to handle, peel back the skin and separate the flesh from the bones. Discard the skin and bones. Pick through the flesh to remove any bones left behind.
To make the Smoked Trout Dip:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Serve room temp or chilled with crackers and veggies.
You might also enjoy: Hot Smoked Salmon
- Serving Size
- 4 oz
- per serving
- 7.6 grams
- 13.6 grams
- 16.9 grams
- 278 milligrams