Chef Tom fires up the Napoleon Phantom 500 gas grill to show us how to make pork fat flour tortillas on the grill!
- Combine the water and lard in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the Jacobsen Salt Co. Habanero Infused Seas Salt and Caputo “00” pizza flour. Mix on third speed with the dough hook for five minutes. Remove from the bowl and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic. Let rest 20-30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Divide into 30 (35 g) portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Cover and rest another 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat your Napoleon Phantom 500 with a Napoleon Reversible Cast Iron Griddle in place on the left side of the grill. Turn the burners under the griddle to medium and the burners on the right side of the grill to low.
- Preheat a Finex Flat Cast Iron Press on the infrared side burner of the grill over medium heat.
- Place a dough ball on the griddle. Using a grill glove or towel, pick up the grill press and smash the dough ball into the griddle until you hear a little “squeal” and the tortilla is very thin. Immediately remove the grill press and return to the side burner.
- Using a spatula, flip the tortilla and move to the back of the griddle. Flip again when beginning to lightly brown, and again to to allow the tortilla to puff up. The tortilla is done when the surface is lightly browned on both sides and the steam has caused the tortilla to puff. Remove from the griddle and hold warm for service or cool to store for later use.
Repeat this process with the remaining dough balls until all 30 tortillas have been cooked.
- The tortillas may be served warm immediately, or cooled, then packaged to freeze for later use.
- If serving the tortillas at a later date, first thaw them in the refrigerator, then reheat them over open flame or on the cast iron surface.
You might also enjoy: Birria on the Grill
- Serving Size
- 1.45 oz
- per serving
- 3 grams
- 0 grams
- 4 grams
- 207 milligrams