Chicken Fried Steak
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Chef Tom shares his take on the home-style classic, Chicken Fried Steak. Fried in Lodge cast iron over a wood fire in the Yoder Smokers Pellet Grill, it’s comfort food, elevated!
- 1 1/2 lb beef eye of round or bottom round steaks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
1 tbsp Killer Hogs Hot Sauce
- 2 cups self rising flour
2 tbsp R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub
- 1 cup canola oil, for frying
Killer Hogs Hot Sauce, for serving
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour (self rising is fine, but not required)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt
- Black pepper
For the gravy:
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 425ºF set up with direct and indirect grilling zones.
- Divide the beef into 4 equal sized steaks. Using the flat side of a meat mallet/tenderizer, pound the meat out until about 1/2” thick. Using the studded side of the mallet, pound gently to create divots on the surface.
Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and Killer Hogs Hot Sauce. Place in a wide shallow container.
Place the flour and R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub in another shallow pan, and mix well.
Set up a wire rack over a sheet pan.
- Dredge each steak in the seasoned flour, pressing the flour firmly into the meat. Shake off the excess flour and transfer to the buttermilk mixture. Coat the entire surface then remove the steak. Let the excess buttermilk drip off before transferring back to the seasoned flour. Again coating the entire surface and pressing the flour in firmly. Transfer each of the steaks to the wire rack and allow them to sit for about 1-15 minutes, until the flour is moistened.
Place a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet directly over the flame, inside the grill. Add about one cup of canola oil. Close the door and allow the oil to heat up to about 400ºF.
- Carefully lay each steak in the hot oil. You should be able to cook two steaks at a time. Cook with the door open until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and continue cooking until the opposite side is golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on a clean cooling rack over a sheet pan, placed on the far right side (indirect zone) of the grill.
Using an instant read digital thermometer, monitor the temperature of the oil as you are frying. If it dips below 325ºF during the cooking process, close the lid and allow the oil to get back into the 325ºF-375ºF range.
- When all four steaks are finished, carefully pour the hot oil out of the skillet, into a heat-resistant container. Return the skillet to the direct side of the grill and make your gravy.
Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the flour and whisk until slightly browned and putting off a nutty aroma, about one minute. Slowly pour the chicken stock into the skillet, whisking constantly. Slowly pour the half-and-half into the skillet, whisking constantly. Add the garlic and thyme. Bring the gravy to a simmer. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency, about 5 minutes. Add Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste.
Serve the Chicken Fried Steak topped with the creamy gravy and a dash of Killer Hogs Hot Sauce.
You might also enjoy: Barbecue Smoked Meatloaf
- Serving Size
- 16.22 oz
- per serving
- 57 grams
- 65 grams
- 78 grams
- 675 milligrams