Chef Tom cooks up the steakhouse classic side dish, Creamed Spinach, in Lodge cast iron over a Yoder Smokers wood fired pellet grill!
Experience the succulent, smoky flavors of creamed spinach on the grill. Follow Chef Tom's lead as he teaches you how to make this steakhouse classic in a Lodge cast iron pan on the grill for perfectly cooked and delectable results.
- 1 lb (12 cups, packed) baby spinach leaves
- 1 (8 oz) red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp butter
Killer Hogs Hot Sauce
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds
- 1/2 cup parmesan, fine grated
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-tip Seasoning
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the sliced onions and cook for two minutes. Add the spinach leaves and cook an additional 30 seconds, stirring. Using a slotted spoon or spider, transfer the spinach and onions to a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking process.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 425ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
- When the spinach and onions have cooled, remove from the water and squeeze to remove the water they have soaked up. Transfer one quarter of the mixture to the blender. Set the remaining three quarters aside.
Place the heavy cream in a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet. Bring to a simmer. Transfer to the blender with the spinach/onion. Add the butter, a shake of smoked salt and a few dashes of hot sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Place the reserved three quarters of the spinach/onion in the skillet used to heat the cream. Pour the cream mixture over the top. Distribute evenly. Taste for seasoning.
Combine the crushed pork rinds, parmesan and Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-tip Seasoning. Mix well. Pour over the top of the creamed spinach. Spread evenly.
- Bake at 425ºF until bubbling through the topping, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serving Size
- 3.84 oz
- per serving
- 4 grams
- 4 grams
- 12 grams
- 189 milligrams