Chef Tom fires up the Kamado Joe charcoal grill & smokes a Creekstone Farms prime tri-tip roast, brisket style, for a smoked tri-tip chopped beef sandwich.
- 1 (3 lb) Creekstone Farms Prime Tri-Tip roast, fat cap on
Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold Beef Rub
Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Steak Seasoning
- 1 cup beef stock
2 tbsp Smoke on Wheels Bootleg BBQ Sauce
1 tbsp Flavolcano Smoky Red Pepper Hot Sauce
2 tsp Cattleman’s Grill Butcher House Brine
- Brioche buns
Holmes Made Dad’s Spicy Garlic Dill Pickles
- Yellow onion, thin sliced
For the injection/braise:
For the chopped beef sandwich:
- Build a large hot charcoal base in the Kamado Joe Classic III Ceramic Charcoal Grill. Set the slo-roller system in place for smoking/indirect grilling. Stabilize the grill at 250ºF.
- Trim any silver skin from the surface of the tri-tip. Score the fat cap in a crosshatch pattern with a sharp knife.
- Combine the beef stock, Smoke on Wheel Bootleg BBQ Sauce, Flavolcano Smoky Red Pepper Hot Sauce and Cattleman’s Grill Butcher House Brine in a marinade shaker. Shake to mix well. Pour out 1/2 cup of the mixture and reserve for later use in the wrap.
- Load the injection into a pistol grip injector. Inject the tri-tip roast in a grid pattern.
- Use the excess liquid on the board to coat the outside of the roast and act as a binder for the seasonings. Season first with the Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold Beef Rub and then the Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Steak Seasoning. Let the run set up until it appears wet on the surface.
- Place a couple of chunks of Cattleman’s Grill Hickory Competition Smoking Wood on the hot charcoal. Set back up for smoking. Grill grates should be in the highest position of the Divide and Conquer System.
- Transfer the tri-tip to the grill grates. Smoke until a dark bark is formed, about two and a half hours. The internal temperature will be around 165ºF. Remove from the grill and place on two sheets of foil.
- Pour the reserved injection liquid over the tri-tip. Double wrap tight in foil. Return to the grill.
- Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 210ºF and there is little resistance when probed, about 90 minutes more.
Open the foil to expose the smoked tri-tip, being careful not to spill the liquid. Continue cooking open until the bark is set, about 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from the grill. Tent loosely with foil. Rest 10 minutes.
- Slice/chop the smoked tri-tip, then pour the remaining liquid in the foil wrap back into the chopped beef.
- To assemble sandwiches, first sauce the smoked tri-tip with the Smoke on Wheel Bootleg BBQ Sauce and toss to coat. Place a few Holmes Made Dad’s Spicy Garlic Dill Pickles on the bottom bun of a toasted brioche roll. Top with the sauced Smoked Tri-tip, then thin sliced onion and the top bun.
You might also enjoy: Smoked Tri-Tip Chili
- Serving Size
- 6.42 oz
- per serving
- 23 grams
- 52 grams
- 29 grams
- 285 milligrams