Reverse Seared Standing Prime Rib Roast
This Reverse Seared Standing Prime Rib recipe may sound intimidating, but Chef Tom guides you through how to get to a smoky result that melts in your mouth. Paired with a creme fresh horseradish sauce, you'll have no regrets that you made this. Smoked on the Yoder Smokers YS1500s Pellet Grill.
- Creekstone Farms Natural Prime Bone-in Rib Roast
Kozlik’s Dijon Classique
Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Texas Brisket Seasoning
Cornhusker Kitchen Beef Tallow
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp cultured buttermilk
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Pit Fire Hot Sauce
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Texas Brisket Seasoning
- 1 tbsp chives, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated on microplane
Horseradish Creme Fraiche:
- To make the Horseradish Creme Fraiche, start by combining the heavy cream and buttermilk in a plastic marinade shaker. Place the lid on the shaker and shake vigorously for about 15 second. Leave in a warm place for 24 hours to thicken. When the mixture is thickened, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Preheat your Yoder smokers YS1500s Pellet Grill to 250ºF, set up for smoking.
- Slather your rib roast in Kozlik’s Dijon Classique mustard. Season with Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Texas Brisket Seasoning.
- Smoke the standing prime rib roast until the internal temperature reaches about 105ºF, around two and a half hours. Remove from the grill. Cover with foil.
- Remove the diffuser directly above the fire. Replace the grate and place a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet on the grate (directly above the flame) to preheat. Increase the grill temperature to 500ºF.
- When the grill has been warming up for 10-15 minutes, add equal parts beef tallow and vegetable oil to the skillet, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Sear the prime rib roast in the skillet, browning on all sides. Remove from the grill when the internal temperature reaches 120ºF.
- Rest 30 minutes before slicing. Serve the the Horseradish Creme Fraiche.
- Serving Size
- 5.24 oz
- per serving
- 1.3 grams
- 36.7 grams
- 21.6 grams
- 440 milligrams