So much of coming up with new ideas for dinner is composed of thinking of two things you love and bringing them together. Enter Buffalo Chicken Wedge Salad! Tangy, spicy (or not too spicy), savory shredded chicken thighs in homemade Buffalo sauce atop a grilled wedge of crisp iceberg lettuce that’s topped with our homemade blue cheese dressing. It’s a magic combination!
Buffalo Chicken Wedge Salad
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Indulge in this exquisite recipe for a Buffalo Chicken Wedge Salad! Enjoy the tantalizing combination of tangy, spicy shredded chicken thighs and your homemade blue cheese dressing atop a crisp wedge of iceberg lettuce.
- 2 lb Chicken thighs
Cornhusker Kitchen Spray Duck Fat
Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 heirloom tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp chives, minced
2/3 cup Killer Hogs Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz smoked blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning
Noble Saltworks Cherrywood Smoked Finishing Salt, to taste
For the buffalo sauce:
For the blue cheese dressing:
- To make the blue cheese dressing, combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 350ºF, set up for indirect grilling. Install GrillGrates on the bottom left side of the grill.
Peel the skin back from the thighs, leaving it attached at one end. Coat the meat with a layer of Cornhusker Kitchen Spray Duck Fat to act as a binder. Season the meat with Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub. Wrap the skin back around the thighs and season the skin, as well.
- Cook the chicken thighs on the second shelf until the internal temperature reaches 170ºF, about 1 hour, depending on the size of the thighs. Remove the chicken from the grill.
About 45 minutes into the cook, place a Lodge 8” Cast Iron Skillet on main cooking grate to preheat. When the pan is warm, add all Buffalo Sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the grill.
Remove the door of the two piece diffuser (or the entire diffuser) for direct grilling.
- Remove the chicken skins. Save and set aside. Pull the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and shred the meat by hand.
- Whisk the slightly cooled buffalo sauce again to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Pour the sauce over the shredded chicken, to taste. You may not need all the sauce, depending on the yield of the chicken thighs. Toss to coat. Cover and store in a warm place.
- Quarter the head of iceberg lettuce, leaving the stem attached to keep the quarters intact.
- Grill the chicken skins on the GrillGrates, over direct flame, until crispy. Be careful, as they can quickly burn. At the same time, place the quartered iceberg lettuce on the GrillGrates just long enough to get some grill marks. Leave the door of the grill open during this process.
- To build the salads, place a wedge in a salad bowl, cut side up. Cut off the core at the tip of the root end, that is holding the wedge together. Remove the first few leaf layers from the center of the wedge, creating a divot or cup to hold the chicken. Place a portion of buffalo chicken in that space. Top the chicken with blue cheese dressing, diced tomatoes and minced chives. Crumble the crispy chicken skins over the top of the Buffalo Chicken Grilled Wedge Salad.
- Serving Size
- 18.61 oz
- per serving
- 22.1 grams
- 76.1 grams
- 69.7 grams
- 2159 milligrams