Chef Tom fires up the Kamado Joe ceramic charcoal grill for this fantastic vegetarian appetizer! This Buffalo Cauliflower is first smoke-roasted whole on the grill with apple wood before being broken down for a quick pan fry in the Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. Smoky, crispy, tangy and delicious!
Introducing Chef Tom's recipe for Buffalo Cauliflower, a smoky, crispy, and tangy vegetarian appetizer made on a ceramic charcoal grill and Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. Experience the amazing smoky flavors of apple wood in every crunchy bite.
- 3 heads cauliflower
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Blue cheese crumbles, for serving
1 1/3 cup Killer Hogs Hot Sauce
- 1 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt
- black pepper, to taste
For the Buffalo Sauce:
For the Buttermilk Ranch Dressing:
- To make the buttermilk ranch dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Stabilize your Kamado Joe Classic III at 450ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
Melt the butter in a Lodge 8” Cast Iron Skillet. Add the remaining ingredients. Whisk to incorporate. Bring to a simmer. Cook for one minute. Remove from the heat. Allow to cool to thicken. The butter may begin to separate, so whisk again until all ingredients are distributed.
- Trim the leaves and end of the stem from the head of cauliflower. Dunk the florets of the cauliflower in the buffalo sauce, coating the surface.
- Transfer directly to the grill, stem side down. Roast until tender when pierced with a skewer, about 60 minutes. Remove from the grill.
Place a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet in the grill to preheat.
- Cut the head of cauliflower into individual florets. Dust the florets with the cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Add the oil to the skillet. Fry the cauliflower florets briefly, just to crisp the surface. Remove from the skillet and place in a medium mixing bowl. Let cool 1-2 minutes. Add the remaining buffalo sauce to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Serve the Buffalo Cauliflower garnished with blue cheese crumbles and the Buttermilk Ranch Dressing for dipping.
- Serving Size
- 5.09 oz
- per serving
- 6 grams
- 2 grams
- 20 grams
- 180 milligrams