Barbecue Chicken Grilled Pizza
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for this scratch made Barbecue Chicken Grilled Pizza. Wood fired, start to finish!
- Pizza Dough (recipe below)
- 4 large bone-in chicken thighs
Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub
1 (29 oz) can Ciao DOP Certified San Marzano Tomatoes
2 tbsp Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt, to taste
- 8 slices pepper bacon
- 1 lb mozzarella, grated
- 8 oz sharp cheddar, grated
- Red onion, sliced thin (optional)
- Fresno chiles, sliced (optional)
Firebug Mild Grillin’ Sauce
- 4 oz Parmigiano Reggiano
- 650g warm water (110ºF)
10g dry active yeast
1 kilo Antimo Caputo “00” Pizza Flour
20g Kosher salt
For the pizza dough:
- To make the pizza dough, pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Add the flour, then the salt. With the mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix on medium-low until flour is incorporated (1-2 minutes). Once all ingredients are incorporated and a ball is formed mix 8 minutes.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 4 equal sized portions. Roll each third into a ball, place in an oiled container. Cover. Refrigerate at least half an hour before use.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 425ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
Season the chicken thighs with the Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub. Place on the second shelf of the grill and roast until the internal temperature reaches 170ºF. Remove from the grill and rest. Remove the second shelf from the grill.
- At the same time, cook the sliced bacon to desired doneness.
- Stretch one ball of pizza dough, by hand or with a rolling pin until very thin and approximately 12”-14” in diameter.
Spray the cooking grates directly over the firebox with Spray Duck Fat. Place the dough directly on the grates. Cook until lightly browned and firm. Flip and toast briefly. The dough should still be soft and pliable.
To make the pizza sauce, combine the Ciao DOP Certified San Marzano Tomatoes and Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub in a bowl and smash by hand. Season with Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt, to taste.
- Spread a layer of the tomato sauce on the par-cooked pizza dough. Top with shredded chicken, torn pieces of bacon, thin sliced onions, peppers, shredded mozzarella and cheddar.
- Return the pizza to the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the dough is crispy. Remove from the grill.
Drizzle the Grilled Chicken Grilled Pizza with Firebug Mild Grillin’ Sauce and fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano to finish. Slice to serve.
You might also enjoy: Grandma Pie
- Serving Size
- 14.66 oz
- per serving
- 159.2 grams
- 33.7 grams
- 12.3 grams
- 1950 milligrams