Chef Britt mixes together an iconic loaf of white bread, AKA The Pullman Loaf or Pain De Mie. Combined with the bacon she made the previous week, she creates a killer BLT sandwich.
Pullman Loaf BLT
Yields: One 8″ x 4″ x 4″ – loaf pan with lid
- 500 grams Antimo Caputo ’00’ Flour
- 11 grams Jacobsen Salt Co. Pure Kosher Sea Salt
- 7.5 grams (approximately 1 Tablespoon) Caputo Instant Dry Yeast
- 35 grams Sugar
- 50 grams Sour Cream
- 38 grams Whole Milk
- 200 grams Water
- 75 grams Unsalted Butter, Softened
Purchase Items in this Recipe
To make the pullman loaf:
- In a mixer with a dough hook (if using the Ankarsrum mixer, set up with the dough roller and scraper attachments) place your wet ingredients in first: water, milk, sour cream.
- On top of your wet ingredients, place your dry ingredients, and mix on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Next, mix the dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. The dough should be smooth, supple, with some gluten development present.
- Cover and rest the dough for one hour.
- Punch the dough down and shape it into a long rectangular shape, keeping in mind the length of your dough pan, using a rolling pin as needed.
- Tightly roll the dough into a spiral and place it into a well-greased pan.
- Cover pan in plastic wrap or kitchen towel and allow to proof in the pan until just shy of the top of the pan.
- During the proofing, prepare your Yoder Smokers Pellet Grill or oven to 400°F.
- Once your dough is properly proofed, slide the greased lid onto the loaf and bake at for one hour.
- Unmold immediately and let cool for a few hours before making a clean slice.
To make the BLT:
- Bake your bacon between 375-400°F evenly-spaced on a sheet pan, covered with foil, outfitted with a wire rack. Bake until bacon is well-rendered and crispy. Thin-sliced bacon will take approximately 15-18 minutes. Extra-thick-cut bacon will take approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Assemble your other ingredients: sliced tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise, sliced bread, and kosher sea salt.
- Build a BLT by placing a layer of mayo on the bread, followed by sliced tomato, a little kosher salt, bacon, then lettuce. Top with remaining bread slice and enjoy!