Chef Britt mixes together an iconic loaf of white bread, AKA The Pullman Loaf or Pain De Mie. Combined with the bacon she made the previous week, she creates a killer BLT sandwich.
Pullman Loaf BLT
This recipe starts the perfect BLT starts with the perfect bread - the iconic Pullman Loaf. Deliciously baked to a fluffy texture and golden hue, it'll make your mouth water. Bacon made on the grill adds to the perfect blend of toppings for a classic sandwich that'll leave you wanting more.
500 g Antimo Caputo '00' Flour
11 g Jacobsen Salt Co. Pure Kosher Sea Salt
7.5 g (approximately 1 tbsp) Caputo Instant Dry Yeast
- 35 g Sugar
- 50 g Sour Cream
- 38 g Whole Milk
- 200 g Water
- 75 g Unsalted Butter, Softened
To make the pullman loaf:
In a mixer with a dough hook (if using the Ankarsrum mixer, set up with the dough roller and scraper attachments) place your wet ingredients in first: water, milk, sour cream.
- On top of your wet ingredients, place your dry ingredients, and mix on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Next, mix the dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. The dough should be smooth, supple, with some gluten development present.
- Cover and rest the dough for one hour.
- Punch the dough down and shape it into a long rectangular shape, keeping in mind the length of your dough pan, using a rolling pin as needed.
- Tightly roll the dough into a spiral and place it into a well-greased pan.
- Cover the pan in plastic wrap or kitchen towel and allow to proof in the pan until just shy of the top of the pan.
- During the proofing, prepare your Yoder Smokers Pellet Grill or oven to 400°F.
- Once your dough is properly proofed, slide the greased lid onto the loaf and bake for one hour.
- Unmold immediately and let cool for a few hours before making a clean slice.
To make the BLT:
- Bake your bacon between 375-400°F evenly-spaced on a sheet pan, covered with foil, outfitted with a wire rack. Bake until bacon is well-rendered and crispy.
- Thin-sliced bacon will take approximately 15-18 minutes. Extra-thick-cut bacon will take approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Assemble your other ingredients: sliced tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise, sliced bread, and kosher sea salt.
- Build a BLT by placing a layer of mayo on the bread, followed by sliced tomato, a little kosher salt, bacon, then lettuce. Top with remaining bread slice and enjoy!
- Serving Size
- 4.58 oz
- per serving
- 25 grams
- 3 grams
- 4 grams
- 192 milligrams