Umami Bomb Brisket
Everyone knows about sweet, salty, sour and bitter, but have you met your new best friend, UMAMI?! It’s that fifth sense of taste that your brain associates with savory, delicious roasted meats, and it's the star of the show in this recipe for Umami Bomb Brisket!
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 300ºF, set up for smoking/indirect cooking. Also, fill an A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker with hickory pellets and place on the main cooking grate, to the left side of the grill.
Trim excess/hard fat from the surface of the brisket flat. Leave about 1/4” layer soft fat behind. Score the fat with a sharp knife, about 1/4” deep in a crosshatch pattern.
Combine the ingredients for the injection in a marinade shaker. Shake well to combine. Reserve 1/4 cup of the injection to add to the wrap later. Working in a grid pattern, inject the remaining liquid into the brisket flat using a pistol grip injector.
- Using paper towels, remove the excess injection liquid from the surface of the brisket. Spread a thin layer of miso across the surface of the meat.
- Mix the Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold and celery seed. Season the brisket with the mixture. Let set up until the surface appears wet.
- Transfer to the smoker. Cook until the surface is a deep mahogany brown color and the internal temperature reaches 160ºF, about 4 hours.
- Remove the flat from the grill. Place it on top of two sheets of heavy-duty foil. Turn up the edges of the foil and add the reserved injection liquid. Wrap tightly in the foil. Return to the grill.
- Continue cooking the brisket until probe tender, about 2 more hours. The internal temperature should be around 205ºF-210ºF. Remove from the grill.
- Rest the brisket for 30-45 minutes before slicing, wrapped tight in foil.
You might also enjoy: Coffee Crusted Brisket
- Serving Size
- 4 oz
- per serving
- 4 grams
- 22 grams
- 26 grams
- 466 milligrams