Chef Tom shares one of his favorite summer dessert recipes, Strawberry Shortcake. Baked on the grill and smothered in fresh strawberries and whiskey whipped cream!
Treat yourself with a recipe for something special, Chef Tom's Strawberry Shortcake. Deliciously baked on the grill and smothered with fresh strawberries and whiskey-infused whipped cream – it's a heavenly dessert experience!
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) frozen butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar
- 1 1/2 lb strawberries, hulled, sliced
2 tbsp Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp whiskey
Reida Farm Wildflower Honey, for topping
For the shortcake biscuits:
For the macerated strawberries:
For the whipped cream:
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 425ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
To make the shortcake biscuits:
- Combine the flour and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Grate the frozen butter with box grater (large grate).
- Mix the butter into the flour and sugar, tossing to coat the grated butter.
- Combine the sour cream and milk in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add the mixture to the bowl with the butter and flour mixture.
- Turn out on work surface. Knead until the mixture forms a dough. Press the dough into a 1” thick square.
- Cut the dough into quarters. Stack the quartered dough and roll out to 3/4” thick rectangle. Slice into two equal sized pieces. Brush a thin layer of water on the surface of the top of one piece. Place the other piece on top of the wetted surface and press gently.
- Slice into 4 square biscuits. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with a thin layer of half-and-half. Sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar.
- Bake at 425ºF for 25-30 minutes, until golden and lightly browned around the edges.
To make the macerated strawberries:
- Combine the sliced strawberries, Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar, white sugar lemon juice and zest and a pinch of Pinch Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt. Stir to coat the strawberries.
- Squeeze about 1/4 of the strawberries in your hands to squish/break them down. Mix them into the rest of the strawberries. Let sit and rest in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
To make the whipped cream:
- Whip the cream my hand, with a whisk in a mixing bowl, or in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip until soft peaks are formed. Add the sugar and whiskey. Continue whisking to desired texture.
- To build the Strawberry Shortcake, divide a biscuit in half, like a sandwich. Remove the top and fill the inside with the macerated strawberries and whipped cream. Place the top half of the biscuit on the filling and top with more strawberries and whipped cream, as desired.
- Serving Size
- 14.46 oz
- per serving
- 50 grams
- 6 grams
- 81 grams
- 323 milligrams