This week Chef Tom brings us a scratch-made Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit sandwich, grilled on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill! Check out these delicious sour cream biscuits, homemade breakfast sausage patties grilled like burgers on the GrillGrates, and sunny side up eggs!
Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit
Start your morning with a burst of flavor with this recipe for scratch-made Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit sandwiches! Grilled on the YS640s Pellet Grill for that authentic smoky taste, savor the deliciousness of sour cream biscuits, homemade breakfast sausage patties and sunny side up eggs!
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) frozen butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg for egg wash, optional
- 2 1/2 lb ground pork (Boston butt, spare rib tips or already ground)
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 2 tbsp black pepper, coarse fresh ground
2 tbsp Noble Saltworks Whiskey Barrel Smoked Finishing Salt
4 tsp Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 biscuits
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
Killer Hogs TX Brisket Rub
Killer Hogs Hot Sauce
For the biscuits:
For the breakfast sausage: (yields 10 servings)
For the sandwich:
- To make the sausage, combine all sausage ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, whip the sausage over medium speed for about one minute to achieve the “primary bind.” The sausage should be tacky and hold together.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 425ºF.
- To make the biscuits, first grate frozen butter with box grater. Mix into flour.
- Add sour cream and milk. Mix with a fork until a shaggy dough starts to form.
- Turn out onto a work surface. Knead until the dough holds together. Slice into 4 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment lined sheet pan. You can prepare an egg wash to brush on top of the biscuits, if desired. This will help the biscuits brown and give them a shine. Simply whisk an egg and brush on top of the biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits at 425ºF until golden brown on top and bottom, about 20-30 minutes. You may want to rotate the pan from the top shelf to the bottom for even browning.
- To make the sandwich, set up your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for direct grilling (diffuser or diffuser door removed) with GrillGrates in place over the fire box. Leave the temperature set at 425ºF.
- Form the breakfast sausage into four (1/4 lb) patties. You may freeze the rest for later use.
- Place a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet on the right side of the main cooking surface to preheat.
- Grill the sausage patties like burgers on the GrillGrates. Cook to an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- While the sausage patties are grilling, crack four eggs into the skillet. Season with Killer Hogs TX Brisket Rub. Cover with a lid and cook until the whites are set, but the yolks are still liquid. Just before removing from the grill, sprinkle your cheese on top of the eggs to melt.
- Split your biscuits for sandwiches. Add the grilled sausage patty, egg and cheese.
- Serve the Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuits topped with Killer Hogs Hot Sauce.
- Serving Size
- 12.53 oz
- per serving
- 53 grams
- 51 grams
- 49 grams
- 1767 milligrams