What's summer without a Juicy Lucy Burger?! Chef Eric Gephart from Kamado Joe cooks up his Stuffed Burger recipe and shares tips for grilling over charcoal.
Juicy Lucy Burger
Grill like a pro with Chef Eric Gephart's Juicy Lucy Burger recipe! Enjoy the satisfaction of grilling up a delicious, mouth-watering burger that comes to life with juicy, secret-filled flavor. Learn professional tips and techniques to take your charcoal cooking to the next level!
- lb ground Beef, 8 oz. each
1 tbsp Lane's Barbecue Combo Scorpion Seasoning
- 4 slices American Cheese
- 2 leaves red leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
1 jar Holmes Made Sweet Spicy Dill Pickles
- 2 tbsp Chipotle Thousand Island (recipe below)
2 tbsp R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef BBQ Rub
- Bleu Cheese makes it a “Bleucy”
- 1 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1 1/2 tbsp chipotle in adobo
For the Chipotle Thousand Island:
- Stabilize your Kettle Joe Grill at 450° F. Bank all of your charcoal to the back of the grill.
- Set one Grill Grate at the lowest setting for direct cooking and set 1 Deflector Shield on the other side with a Grill Grate above it on the highest setting for semi-indirect cooking.
- While the grill is coming to temperature, form 2, 4 oz paddies for each burger. Top the bottom paddy of each burger with 2 slices of American cheese. Place the second paddies on top of the cheese and crimp the edges so that the cheese cannot escape as the burger cooks and the cheese melts.
- Draw an oiled paper towel across the Grill Grates to create a non-stick surface. Season the burgers with R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef BBQ Rub and place them on the direct side of the grill. Cook for 1 and a half minutes then rotate 90° and cook for another minute. Flip and repeat. The dome should be closed during the searing process.
- Transfer the seared burgers and burger buns to the indirect side. Close the dome for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the bottom bun to a cutting board. Top with sauce, lettuce, tomato, sliced pickles, Juicy Lucy patties, and lastly the top bun that has been sauced. Enjoy but proceed with caution. That lava cheese can burn your mouth. That’s why this burger is known as the burger that bites back!
To make the Chipotle Thousand Island dressing, combine all ingredients and in the Vitamix Blender and blend until fully incorporated and reserve for later use.
You might also enjoy: Italian Roast Pork Shoulder
- Serving Size
- 13.78 oz
- per serving
- 29 grams
- 80 grams
- 69 grams
- 2422 milligrams