Gather your friends and fire up the wood fired oven for an unforgettable Hawaiian-style feast! This recipe for sweet and salty Huli Huli Chicken Wings get the wood-fired treatment for a flavor experience like no other. The perfect balance of sweet and savory makes these wings truly unforgettable!
Huli Huli Chicken Wings
Chef Tom fires up the Ooni Karu 16 Wood Fired Oven for Huli Huli Chicken Wings! This classic Hawaiian chicken recipe features a sweet and salty marinade and sauce that coats every crevice of the wood fire kissed wings!
- 4-5 lb chicken wings, scored
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt
Noble Saltworks Smoked Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Hoff & Pepper Smoken Ghost Ketchup
- 1/2 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp grated garlic
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp Hardcore Carnivore Amplify
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
Huli Huli Marinade/Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients for the Huli Huli Marinade in a bowl and whisk to combine. Place half of the mixture in a zip-top bag with the scored chicken wings. Reserve the other half of the marinade for saucing the wings. Marinate chicken overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Season with smoked salt and pepper.
- In a Lodge 8” Skillet, reduce the remaining marinade by half, to thicken for finishing.
- Build a small hot charcoal bed in the fire box of your Ooni Karu 16. Place Kamado Joe Big Block lump charcoal (not too much!) in the basket with Kamado Joe fire starters. Place the lid on the oven. Close the door of the oven. Make sure the chimney baffle is wide open. Let the charcoal burn white.
- When the oven temp comes down to 600, place a Lodge Cast Iron Casserole Dish in the Ooni and preheat for a few minutes.
- Add the wings to the casserole dish.
- Add a chunk or two of smoking wood to the charcoal.
- After 10 minutes, toss the wings to turn. Keep cooking, adding wood as needed to brown the chicken.
- Remove wings when browned and the internal temperature reaches 180ºF, about 15-20 minutes total.
Remove the casserole dish from the oven. Add the reduced Huli Huli Sauce to the chicken and toss to coat.
- Serving Size
- 10.57 oz
- per serving
- 7.7 grams
- 42.6 grams
- 20.9 grams
- 1038 milligrams