Chef Tom walks us through the process of making a modern aioli. This Grilled Lemon Dill Aioli is a hybrid of the classic aioli and mayonnaise, and with the kiss of char from the Napoleon Grills Prestige P500, it’s a perfect condiment for everything from seafood to burgers to grilled veggies and more!
Grilled Lemon Dill Aioli
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Chef Tom guides us through a modern Grilled Lemon Dill Aioli! Combining the traditional aioli with mayonnaise, this rich and creamy condiment will enhance any dish with its zesty, vibrant flavor.
- Set up your Napoleon Grills Prestige P500 gas grill with direct and indirect zones, igniting and turning half of the burners to high heat, and leaving the other two off.
- Create a foil pouch/bowl. Place the garlic and Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the foil and crimp closed, taking care not to let the oil leak out.
- Place the pouch on the indirect side of the grill, away from direct flame, and cook until the garlic is softened, about 15 minutes.
- At the same time, remove the zest from the lemon with a microplane grater. Save the zest for later. Slice the lemon in half. Grill both halves over direct flame to char the surface.
- When the lemon has cooled, juice half of the lemon. Reserve the other half for garnish.
- When the garlic is softened, remove from the grill and open the pouch slightly to let the garlic cool. When the garlic is cooled, remove the papery skins of the garlic and discard. Finely mince the softened flesh of the garlic.
- Add the Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the pouch to the 3/4 cup vegetable oil.
- Place your egg yolk in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in one tablespoon of grilled lemon juice, as well as the minced roasted garlic.
- While constantly whisking, drizzle the oils into the mixing bowl with the yolk and lemon juice, very slowly; starting with just drops at a time. The mixture should emulsify as you whisk in more of the oil.
- *If the oil appears to be separated, start the process over with a new yolk, slowly drizzling in the broken aioli into the yolk, and then the oil.
- As you add more oil to the emulsification, you can can increase the speed and quantity of the oil being added. Continue whisking constantly until all of the oil is incorporated.
- At this point you can whisk in the Kozlik’s Dijon Mustard, malt vinegar and minced baby dill. Season with Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt, to taste.
- Serving Size
- 0.75 oz
- per serving
- 0 grams
- 70 grams
- 30 grams
- 313 milligrams