Hot Buttered Rum
Chef Tom makes Hot Buttered Rum with Cold Smoked Brown Butter Washed Rum!
- 12 oz (3 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
- 3-4 pieces star anise
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp whole allspice berries
- 1 cup rum
1-2 tbsp Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar
- 2 oz brown butter washed rum
- 4 oz hot water
- 1 tbsp cold smoked butter
- Cinnamon stick for garnish
Brown Butter Washed Rum:
Hot Buttered Rum:
- To cold smoke the butter, power on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to run the fans. Do not “start” the grill. Fill an A-MAZE-N Tube Smokers with smoking pellets. Place the tube smokers on the main cooking grate of the grill. Light the pellets with a torch. Blow out the flame to allow the pellets to produce smoke. Place foil pans filled with ice in the grill to keep the temperature down. Place the 3 sticks of butter on a sheet of parchment paper and place on the second shelf of the grill. Cold smoke for 2-3 hours. Remove from the grill and store in the refrigerator.
- To make the spiced brown butter, place two sticks of butter in a Lodge 8” Cast Iron Skillet. Add the star anise, cinnamon sticks and allspice berries. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Cook until the butter foams, then begins to brown, taking care not to scorch the butter.
- Strain the spiced brown butter into a blender. Hold back the spices. Add 1 cup of rum to the browned butter in the blender. Blend the rum and butter. Transfer to a jar. Add the spices back to the liquid. Place in the freezer.
- After the fat and liquid freezes and separates out, cut a hold in the solid fat and pour out the liquid, straining it through a cheese cloth. Discard the solid fat. The strained liquid is your Brown Butter Washed Rum.
To make the cocktail, place your Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar in a neat glass, along with one tablespoon smoked butter. Add a couple ounces of hot water and stir to dissolve. Add two ounces brown butter spiced rum, then top off with more hot water. Serve with a cinnamon stick garnish.
You might also enjoy: Italian Roast Pork Shoulder