Flank Steak Street Tacos
Chef Tom was up at the Kansas Speedway with Yoder Smokers cooking the 810 Sports Party at the 2017 American Royal (the world’s largest barbecue competition) and cooks up some Chopped Flank Steak Street Tacos on the Yoder Smokers 24×48 Flattop Charcoal Grill.
- 1.5-2 pound flank steak
Sweetwater Spice Tres Chiles Fajita Bath
6 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning
4 tbsp Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- cotija cheese
- small street taco sized flour tortillas
- 8 oz slaw mix
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
salt, to taste
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1/4 cup jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
salt, to taste
For the cilantro lime slaw:
For the pico:
- Trim any excess fat/silver skin/tissue from the surface of the flank steak. Place in a zip top bag with the Sweetwater Spice Tres Chiles Fajita Bath, mixed according to the instructions on the bottle. Transfer to the refrigerator (or cooler). Let sit 1-2 hours.
- Mix all slaw ingredients well. Store in the refrigerator (or cooler) until ready to serve.
- Mix all pico ingredients well. Store in the refrigerator (or cooler) until ready to serve.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flattop Charcoal Grill for high heat direct and indirect grilling zones, set up with GrillGrates.
- Remove the flank steak from the marinade. Dab excess moisture from the surface with a paper towel. Combine the Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning, Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub and cumin. Season the steak with the mixture.
- Grill the flank on the GrillGrates with the lid open. When you have nice grill marks, flip and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 125°F-130°F. You may close the lid to expedite the process once you’ve achieved your grill marks. Rest the meat 5 minutes. Slice thin across the grain. Chop into small bite-sized pieces.
- Toast your tortillas on the flattop grill, just to soften and add a little color. Remove before they get crispy. Fill the taco with the flank steak, top with the slaw, pico and a sprinkle of cotija cheese.
This recipe was prepared on a Yoder Smokers Adjustable Charcoal Grill.
- Serving Size
- 9.72 oz
- per serving
- 75 grams
- 133 grams
- 42 grams
- 6887 milligrams