The Backyard Barbecue Burger is all about that feeling you get when it’s finally spring and you fire up the grill to cook a batch of hand-pattied burgers for the family. You’re right where you want to be. You’re in your element. Everyone has their “signature move” when it comes to the burger. We’ve got a couple. Ground brisket and caramelized BBQ onions. Is your mouth watering yet?
Backyard Barbecue Burger
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Make the unique flavor of the Backyard Barbecue Burger! Chef Tom steps you through making a juicy hand-pattied blend of ground brisket and caramelized BBQ onions, perfect for creating that classic family-grill atmosphere. It's the flavor of spring, a flavor of home and a flavor of comfort. Enjoy!
- 4 (1/3 lb) portions ground brisket
R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 large (1 lb) yellow onion, sliced thin
2 tbsp Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt
3/4 cup Firebug Mild Grillin’ Sauce
- 4 potato buns, toasted
- Butter or green leaf lettuce
- Tomato slices
- Remove half of the flavorer bars from your Napoleon Grill Prestige P500RSIB-3. Place a Napoleon Charcoal Basket directly over the gas burners. Fill the basket with lump charcoal. Light the burners underneath the basket and close the lid. When the charcoal is glowing red, turn off the burners.
- Place the sliced onions in a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet. Place the skillet on the infrared side burner of the grill. Light the burner and turn the heat to medium-low. Drizzle the onions with the Olitalia I Dedicati Meat Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with the Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are softened and lightly caramelized/browned. Cook the onions slowly. If they begin to scorch or brown too fast, turn the heat down. To finish, add the Firebug Mild Grillin’ Sauce and cook gently until it is reduced and thickened.
- While the onions are cooking, grill the burgers. Season the burgers on both sides with the R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub. Grill the burgers directly over the hot charcoal. When the bottom is lightly charred, flip and top with a slice of cheese.
- When the burger is well browned, transfer to the opposite side of the grill, close the lid and finish cooking over indirect heat. Remove the burgers when the internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
- To build the burgers, spread mayonnaise on the bottom bun. Add the lettuce and tomato to the bottom bun. Top with the burger patty and cheese. Top the burger with the barbecue caramelized onions and then the top bun.
- Serving Size
- 18.11 oz
- per serving
- 136.9 grams
- 23 grams
- 32 grams
- 314 milligrams