Brisket & Cheddar Smoked Sausage
Chef Tom breaks down a whole Creekstone Farms Prime Brisket and turns it into Brisket & Cheddar Smoked Sausage, smoked on the Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita Offset Smoker.
10 lb Creekstone Farms Prime Brisket
- 8 oz beef stock
- 8 oz ice
- 1 cup (4.5 oz) nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Salt
1/2 cup Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorn, coarse ground
- 6 tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp freeze dried minced garlic
- 4 tbsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp celery seed
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese
LEM Natural Hog Casings, for stuffing
- Slice the brisket into 1” thick strips. Grind the cubed brisket with a 10mm die.
- Combine the ice and beef stock in the Vitamix Blender. Add the dried milk, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, cayenne, cumin, and celery seed. Blend to crush the ice.
- Pour the slurry over the ground beef and mix well by hand.
- Grind the seasoned beef a second time.
- Mix the sausage by hand until tacky.
- Stuff the sausage into natural hog casings, taking care not to overstuff. Link the sausages using the “pinch, pinch, twist” method. Transfer to a jerky rack over a sheet pan. Let sit open overnight in the refrigerator to form the pellicle.
Build a small hot fire in the Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita, using lump charcoal as a base, and pecan split wood for smoke. Stabilize the temperature at 175-200ºF. Smoke the sausages until the internal temperature reaches 150ºF, 1-2 hours.
- Shock the sausages in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Store in vacuum sealed packages in the freezer.
- Thaw and reheat to 150ºF on a smoker or grill for serving.
You might also enjoy: Foil Boat Brisket
- Serving Size
- 4.2 oz
- per serving
- 3 grams
- 82 grams
- 109 grams
- 1705 milligrams