Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
Everyone loves the Barbecue Chicken Sandwich. This week Chef Tom shares his take on this new classic, featuring a whole spatchcock chicken smoked on the Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita Offset Smoker, scratch-made Blue Cheese Slaw, spicy pickles and two fantastic BBQ sauces! Is your mouth watering yet?
- 1 whole (5 lb) chicken
Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub
Firebug Hot Grilling’ Sauce
- 4-6 pretzel buns
Holmes Made Dad’s Spicy Pickles
Big Rick’s Jalapeño Honey Mustard
- 1/2 cup peach nectar
1 tsp Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub
1 tsp Killer Hogs Hot Sauce
- 4 cups (12 oz) savoy cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp white vinegar
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
For the Injection:
For the Blue Cheese Slaw:
Preheat the Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita offset smoker to 275ºF, building a small charcoal fire in the back half of the firebox with Kamado Joe Big Block Charcoal. Feed the fire with Cattleman’s Grill Pecan Split Wood, as needed, to maintain your temperature.
Prepare the chicken spatchcock style, removing the backbone with poultry shears. Lay the bird flat on your work surface and loosen the skin from the flesh.
- Combine the ingredients for the injection in a shaker and mix well. Using a pistol grip injector, inject the bird in a grid pattern. Wipe excess liquid from the surface. Season generously under the skin with Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub, then season the skin, as well.
- Place the chicken on the second shelf of the grill and place the breasts closest to the firebox. Smoke the bird until the internal temperature reaches 155ºF in the breasts, about 2-3 hours.
In the meantime, combine all ingredients for the Blue Cheese Slaw. Mix well and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove the skin and pull the meat from the bones. Discard the bones. Shred the meat. Toss the meat in Firebug Hot Grilling’ Sauce.
- Build your Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with the pretzel buns, barbecue pulled chicken, Big Rick’s Jalapeño Honey Mustard, Holmes Made Dad’s Spicy Pickles, topped with the Blue Cheese Slaw.
You might also enjoy: Barbecue Chicken Grilled Pizza
This recipe was prepared on a Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita Offset Smoker.
- Serving Size
- 12.81 oz
- per serving
- 71 grams
- 124 grams
- 33 grams
- 1972 milligrams