Smoked Chicken Salad
This one goes out to all moms out there! Smoked Chicken Salad is our barbecue inspired take on one of those classics that moms all over used to make. Whether you’re eating chicken salad between two slices of bread, over the top of a salad or for dipping crackers and veggies, it’s delicious comfort food that always takes us back. Happy Mother’s Day!
- 1 (4 lb) whole chicken
Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero Seasoning
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp Kozlik’s Dijon Classique
- 1/2 cup cashews crushed
- 1/2 cup Fuji apple, grated on a box grater (large)
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
1/4 cup Kansas Flavor Bread and Butter Jalapeños, minced
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Build a fire in your Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita Offset Smoker using a chimney full of lump charcoal. Feed the coal bed with splits of Kiln Dried Apple Wood. Stabilize the temperature at 250ºF-300ºF.
- Prepare the chicken spatchcock style. Cut along either side of the backbone of the chicken to remove the backbone.
- Loosen the skin from the surface of the meat, all over, but do not remove the skin completely. Season under the skin and all other surfaces with Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero Seasoning.
- Place the bird skin side on the grates of the smoker. Smoke until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF in the breasts, and 175ºF in the thighs, about 2.5 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow and place in the refrigerator to cool, about 20 minutes.
While the chicken cools, combine the mayonnaise and Kozlik’s Dijon Classique mustard in a medium/large sized bowl and whisk.
- Add the crushed cashews, grated apple, green onion and Kansas Flavor Bread and Butter Jalapeños to the bowl with the mayonnaise and mustard.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Remove the skin from the chicken. Pull the meat from the bones. Discard the bones. Dice the meat into 1/2”-3/4” cubes.
- Add the cubed chicken to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Season with the Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste.
You might also enjoy: Spatchcock BBQ Chicken
- Serving Size
- 9.25 oz
- per serving
- 6.4 grams
- 66.3 grams
- 22.9 grams
- 390 milligrams