Pastrami Smoked Salmon & Everything Bagels Recipe
Yield: 6 large bagels
Pastrami Smoked Salmon:
- 1-2 each (3 lb) salmon filets
For the brine:
For the Pickling Spice:
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp red chile flakes
- 1 tbsp allspice berries
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mace (or nutmeg)
- 1 small cinnamon stick, crushed
- 2 bay leaves, broken into pieces
For the rub:
To Make the Dough:
- Place cool water in the bottom of a KitchenAid bowl fitted with the dough hook attachment.
- Place OO flour on top of that and mix on low speed until no dry patches are present.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth and “autolyse” for 30 minutes.
- After thirty minutes, add 4 g yeast, 15 g sugar and 9 g salt to dough and mix on 2nd speed for approximately 6 minutes until all add-ins are dissolved and the dough has an improved/developed gluten structure.
- Divide dough into 6 even pieces (roughly 125 g a piece).
- Preshape dough into small rounds with tight seams on the bottom.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rounds bench rest for 15 minutes.
- To shape the bagels, poke a hole into the center of each ball, then gently stretch into a 4-inch ring.
- Arrange on a parchment-lined half sheet pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24-36 hours, depending on your schedule. (You can extend this rise up to 48 hours if your yeast is sluggish.)
- Preheat YS640s to 425°F, set up for indirect grilling.
- Place 2/3 cup of everything seasoning into a small bowl, that’s big enough for a bagel to set in.
- Prepare a large pot with boiling water and dissolve 2/3 C Brown Sugar into it.
- Working in batches, boil the bagels for 1 minute total, 30 seconds on each side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bagels and place them onto a wire rack.
- While the bagels are still wet, thoroughly coat seasoning by pushing the tops of the bagels into the Everything Seasoning and back on to the wire rack.
- Once all the bagels are boiled and seasoned, place them onto the top rack of the grill, centered.
- Close the lid and allow bagels to bake for 18-25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes.
- The internal temperature should be between 209°F-212°F when finished. Allow bagels to cool before slicing.
You might also enjoy: Smoked Pecan Sandies
For the Pastrami Smoked Salmon:
To make the pickling spice, warm a dry hot cast iron skillet over medium heat. Toast the fennel, coriander, peppercorns and mustard seeds just until fragrant. Be careful not to burn them. Combine the toasted spices with the remaining spices.
Combine all brine ingredients, except the ice, in a large pot. Bring to a boil and stir until the brine is dissolved. Simmer for about two minutes.
Add the ice to an 8 Quart Briner Bucket. Pour the briner mixture over the ice. Stir to melt the ice.
Place the salmon filets in the brining liquid. Lock the plate in place to make sure they are fully submerged. Refrigerate for 48 hours.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 250ºF, set up for smoking.
Remove the salmon from brine, and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Transfer to a wire rack.
Apply a thin layer of House of Q Slow Smoke Gold Mustard Sauce the surface of the meat to help the rub adhere. Combine equal parts Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-tip Seasoning and coriander seeds in a spice grinder. Set the grinder to a coarse grind. Season the surface of the salmon with the coarse ground seasoning.
Smoke at 250ºF until the internal temperature reaches 140ºF, about 2 hours.
Serve warm or chilled.