Grilled Chicken Quesadilla
- By Tom Jackson
- Jun 2, 2020
The Grilled Chicken Quesadilla is a go-to weeknight (or any night) meal! Chef Tom packs in the flavor with grilled chicken & onion and creamy cheeses, and pairs it up with grilled avocado salsa and spicy crema for dipping!
Grilled Chicken Quesadilla with Avocado Salsa Verde Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs
- Juice of 1 lime
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt
- Black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 3/4” thick slabs
- 8 large flour tortillas (recipe HERE!)
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
- 8 oz Oaxaca cheese, grated
- 8 oz sharp cheddar, grated
- Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
- Chile Colonial Infused Spicy Oil
For the Avocado Salsa Verde: (Yields about one quart)
- 1 lb tomatillos, husks peeled
- 2-3 Anaheim peppers
- 4 large jalapeño peppers
- Flesh of 2 small avocados
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- juice of 1 lime
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt, to taste
For the crema:
- 2 cups sour cream
- Flavolcano Smoky Red Pepper Hot Sauce, to taste
- Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning, to taste
Set up the Napoleon Prestige P500 with a charcoal basket on one side and the cast iron griddle on the other. Build a hot charcoal fire (450ºF) in the basket.
Place the tomatillos, peppers and onion over the charcoal fire and grill until the outsides are nicely charred. The peppers should be blackened on the outside. Place the peppers in a zip-top bag. Allow the peppers to steam in the bag for 10-15 minutes.
Remove the peppers from the bag. Remove the stems and seeds. Peel the skins from the flesh and discard. Roughly chop the flesh of the peppers.
Remove the stems from the onions and roughly chop.
Combine all salsa ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Rub the chicken breasts and thighs with a thin layer of the Colonial Chile Oil. Season the chicken with the Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Grill the chicken and onion slabs over the charcoal. Char both sides of all chicken lightly and remove from the grill when the breasts reach 160ºF internal temperature and the thighs reach 170ºF. The onions should be charred on the surface and softened.
Dice the chicken and peppers to bite sized pieces, about 1/2”.
Lay out a large flour tortilla. Fill one half with the cheeses, diced chicken and onions and a shake of Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning. Dollop in a few teaspoons of the avocado salsa verde, as well. Fold the empty half over the fillings. Repeat this process until you have enough tortillas filled to fill up your griddle.
Brush the griddle with Colonial Chile Oil. Toast the quesadillas slowly on each side. The cheese should be melted and the surface of the tortilla golden brown. Turn the burners under the griddle to medium-low heat to maintain a hot griddle.
Serve the Grilled Chicken Quesadilla with with Avocado Salsa Verde for dipping.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Napoleon Grills Prestige 500 Gas Grill with Infrared Side and Rear Burners, Stainless SteelAs low as
- Vitamix A2500 Ascent Series BlenderAs low as
- Wusthof Classic 8" Chef's Knife$170.00