Apple Streusel Pie
- By Tom Jackson
- Nov 20, 2020
Chef Tom shares his recipe for Apple Streusel Pie, including scratch-made pie dough, baked on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill.
Apple Streusel Pie Recipe
Yield: 8-10 servings
For the Pie Dough:
- 9 oz (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed, frozen
- 7 oz (1 1/2 cups) cake flour
- 7 oz (1 1/2 cups) all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 oz (5 tbsp + 1 tsp) white sugar
- 3/4 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
- 2 eggs
- cold water (as needed)
For the Streusel Topping:
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
For the Pie Filling:
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/2” thick
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/2” thick
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the pie dough, combine the frozen butter, flours, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium low until the butter chunks are smaller than pea sized, and the mixer is mealy in texture. Add one egg at a time, mixing in between additions. The dough will start to become hydrated and shaggy. When both eggs are incorporated, add a tablespoon of water at a time until the dough begins to stick together.
Turn the dough mixture out onto a floured surface. Press together into a dough ball. Press into a 1” thick circle. Wrap in plastic. Place in the refrigerator to relax for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 375ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
Roll the dough out into a circle that is large enough to cover a 9” pie pan, about 1/4” thick. Place the circle of pie dough on top of a buttered 90” pie pan. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan. Trim the excess dough about 1” past the edge of the pan. Roll and press the top edge of the dough, crimping with your fingers. Store the pie shell in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
To make the streusel topping, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process just until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Transfer to a bowl and store in the refrigerator.
To make the apple pie filling, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and mix together. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and whisk to combine.
You might also enjoy: Smoked Pralines
Place the sliced, peeled apples in the pie shell. Pour the custard filling over the apples. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top of the apples.
Bake the pie on the second shelf of the grill at 375ºF until the top and edges are browned and the filling in the center of the pie reaches 160ºF, about 2 hours.
Remove the Apple Streusel Pie from the grill and cool for at least one hour before slicing to serve.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- All Things Barbecue Ham KitsAs low as
- KitchenAid Pro 600 Series 6 QT Bowl-Lift Stand MixerAs low as