Chef Tom brings the sweetness with this Chocolate Custard Pie with Peanut Butter Whipped Cream prepared on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill.
Chocolate Custard Pie with Peanut Butter Whipped Cream
Indulge your sweet tooth with Chef Tom's recipe for delicious Chocolate Custard Pie with Peanut Butter Whipped Cream, baked on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill. Enjoy the perfect combination of rich chocolate and creamy peanut butter for a uniquely smoky dessert!
- 9 oz (2 cups) Biscoff cookies (or graham crackers), crumbled
- 1/2 cup unsalted Butter
1/4 cup Noble Saltworks Smoked turbinado
1/2 tsp Smoked salt
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp heavy cream
Pinch Noble Saltworks Whiskey Barrel Smoked Salt
Cookie Pie Crust:
Dark Chocolate Custard:
Peanut Butter Whipped Cream:
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 375ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
- Combine all ingredients for the pie crust in a food processor, and process until the mixture begins to hold together. Turn out into a Lodge Cast Iron Pie Pan and press into the bottom of the pan to compact the crust.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crust. Weigh down the paper with dry beans or pie weights. Transfer to the second shelf of the grill and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the grill and cool to room temperature. Then, remove the beans and parchment paper and place the crust (in the cast iron pan) in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and half and half.
- In a dutch oven (off the heat), whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk and egg mixture. Heat over medium heat until the mixture thickens. When large bubbles start to bubble up from the bottom, cook one minute longer, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate, vanilla extract and butter to the custard and whisk to melt. Strain into a medium sized bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, placing the wrap directly on the surface of the custard. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
- To make the peanut butter whipped cream, combine the peanut butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk over high speed until lightened in color and texture. Scrape the sides. Whisk over medium speed while slowly adding the heavy cream. When all of the cream is in the bowl, add a pinch of Noble Saltworks Whiskey Barrel Smoked Salt, then crank up the speed to high. Whisk until stiff peaks are formed. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a star tip and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
- When all components are cold, spread the dark chocolate custard evenly in the pie crust. Then pipe the peanut butter whipped cream in dollops on top of the custard to cover the surface of the pie.
- Slice a banana into 8-10 medallions. Cover the top sliced surface with 1-2 tbsp white sugar. Melt the sugar with a torch to caramelize the sugar. Let cool, then place the bruleed slices of banana on top of the peanut butter whipped cream, spacing them evenly.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Slice and serve cold.
- Serving Size
- 10.07 oz
- per serving
- 57 grams
- 7 grams
- 45 grams
- 327 milligrams