Chef Tom's Wood-Fired Chicken Chimichurri Pizza is a fiery feast of flavor! Enjoy the crispiest skin-on chicken thighs, fresh chimichurri and smoked cream cheese all on top of a traditional pizza crust from your wood fired pizza oven.
Wood-Fired Chicken Chimichurri Pizza
Chef Tom fires up the Alfa 4 Pizze Wood Fired Oven for Wood-Fired Chicken Chimichurri Pizza featuring the crispiest skin-on chicken thighs and fresh chimichurri blended with smoked cream cheese!
- Pizza dough (recipe below)
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
Cattleman’s Grill Road House Seasoning
8 oz smoked cream cheese
- 3/4 cup chimichurri (recipe below)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Baby arugula
Orlando Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled
1 tsp Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt, to taste
Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, fresh ground, to taste
- 2 cups red onion
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp pickling spice
- 2 dried arbol chiles
2 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 325g (1 cup 7 tbsp) warm water (110ºF)
5g (1 1/2 tsp) Caputo Dry Yeast
500g (3 1/4 cup) Antimo Caputo “00” Pizza Flour
10g (1 tbsp) Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
For the chimichurri:
- To make the pickled onions, combine the vinegar, water, pickling spice, arbol chiles, salt and sugar in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat. Place sliced onions in a pint sized mason jar. Pour the hot brine over the onion. Add the solids from the sauce pan to the jar, as well. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- To make the pizza dough, pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the flour, then the salt. With the mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix on medium-low (2nd gear on the KitchenAid) until a ball is formed, about 1 minute. Once all ingredients are incorporated and a ball is formed mix 8 minutes.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place in an oiled container. Cover. Refrigerate at least half an hour before use.
- On a floured work surface, stretch the dough thin.
- To make chimichurri, combine all ingredients in a small food processor and process to desired consistency.
- To make the chimichurri cream cheese, combine 8 oz block smoked cream cheese with chimichurri. Whisk well. Yields 1 1/4 cups - enough for 4 servings.
- Build a fire using oak splits in the center of the deck of your Alfa 4 Pizze Wood Fired Oven. When the fire burns down to coals and begins to break down, push the coals off to the left side of the deck. Sweep the deck to clear ash and debis. Feed the fire oak splits to maintain a 600ºF ambient temperature reading.
- Season your chicken thighs under and over the skin with Cattleman’s Grill Road House Seasoning. Roll tightly and situate the chicken thighs skin side up.
- Place the pan of the Alfa BBQ500 on the deck and scoop coal from the fire into the pan, covering the left half of the pan. Leave the right half of the pan empty of coals. Place the rotating rack on top with the chicken on the indirect half, away from the main fire. Cook for about 7 minutes with the main door open.
- Spin the rack to place the chicken over direct coals, still cooking with the door open. Cook about 4-5 minutes to brown the bottoms of the chicken, then spin back to indirect. Place the oven door in place to trap the heat inside.
- Cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 175ºF, about 20 minutes total cook time. Remove the chicken and Afla BBQ500 Cooking Accessory from the oven.
- Feed the coal bed a couple of extra splits to bump the oven temperature up to the 700ºF-800ºF range.
- Remove skins from the chicken and dice for topping. Shred meat and discard bones.
- To build the pizzas, stretch your pizza dough into a long thin oblong shape. Top with the chimichurri smoked cream cheese, shredded chicken and cherry tomatoes.
- Transfer the pizza to the deck of the oven with a well floured pizza peel. Cook, turning as need to brown on all sides. Remove from the oven when the bottom is spotted and firm and the crust is browned evenly.
- To finish the Wood-Fired Chicken Chimichurri Pizza, toss a couple of cups of baby arugula with a drizzle of Orlando Balsamic Vinegar and toss to coat. Place the dressed greens on top of the pizza. Sprinkle the diced crispy chicken skin over the greens. Slice and serve.
- Serving Size
- 25.1 oz
- per serving
- 114.9 grams
- 39.4 grams
- 51 grams
- 2383 milligrams