Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Join Chef Tom and his dad on a pheasant hunt as they reflect on the many things to be thankful for this holiday season, including a delicious Pheasant Piccata. Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!
- 4 pheasant breasts, boneless, skinless
Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt
Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, freshly ground
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 cup Pinot Grigio white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
1 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt
For the Yukon Potato Purée:
- To make the Yukon Potato Purée, boil the potatoes until very tender. Drain. Press the potatoes through a potato ricer or food mill and into a bowl. Add the diced butter, stirring to melt the butter. Add the half-and-half and carefully stir until fully incorporated. Add the salt and stir to distribute. Cover and hold warm.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 500°F, set up for direct grilling.
- Lay out the pheasant breasts on a cutting board. Using a meat mallet (or wine bottle or small skillet), pound out the thickest parts, so the entire breast is even in thickness, about 1/2” thick.
- Season the breasts with the Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt and fresh ground Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns on both sides.
- Place your flour on a plate, using just enough flour to coat the bottom of a plate. Press the pheasant breasts into the flour on both sides, shaking to remove excess flour. Transfer to a clean plate.
- Place a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet on the grill and allow the skillet to preheat for about 5 minutes.
- Place the skillet directly over the fire. Add the Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil and two tablespoons of diced butter. When the butter is melted, place the pheasant breasts in the skillet. Cook until just browned and flip. Continue cooking until the breasts reach an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove the breasts from the skillet and transfer to a foil pan on the opposite side of the grill.
- Add the capers to the skillet. Smash about half of them to release their juices. Add the wine, chicken stock and lemon juice and allow to reduce by about half, then remove the skillet from the grill.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of diced butter to the skillet, swirling them in until they are fully melted, constantly stirring. Return the pheasant breasts to the skillet, turning to coat both sides with the sauce. Add the parsley to the skillet.
- Lay out a base of the Yukon Potato Purée on a plate or shallow bowl. Slice the pheasant breasts and fan them out over the potatoes. Spoon the sauce and capers over the top of the breasts. Serve the Pheasant Piccata immediately.
You might also enjoy: Shrimp Scampi & Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Serving Size
- 31.31 oz
- per serving
- 33 grams
- 95 grams
- 80 grams
- 932 milligrams