One of our favorite Mexican foods, cooked start to finish on the Grill! Our quesadillas feature caramelized onions, chile infused spatchcock pulled chicken, black beans, and creamy pepper jack cheese!
Spatchcock Chicken Quesadillas
Experience irresistibly flavorful chicken quesadillas! You will make these with chile-infused chicken, caramelized onions, black beans, and rich pepper jack cheese, it's a tantalizing taste sensation you won't soon forget.
- 1 (5.5-6 lb) whole chicken
Sweetwater Spice Tres Chiles Fajita Bath
Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thin
Chili Dawg’s Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1.5 lb pepper jack cheese, grated
- 12-14 large flour tortillas
- sour cream, for serving
Holme’s Made Marty’s Green Chile Salsa
- Cut the backbone out of the chicken in order to cook the bird spatchcock style. Loosen the skin from the flesh, but keep it attached. Place in a zip top bag with equal parts Sweetwater Spice Tres Chiles Fajita Bath and water. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Smoker to 325°F, set up for indirect grilling. Remove the chicken from the liquid. Pat dry with paper towels. Season the meat under the skin with Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish. Lay the bird flat on a foil lined sheet pan, cavity side down. Cook on the second shelf until the internal temperature of the breasts reaches 160°F (1-1.5 hours). Use an instant read digital thermometer to check the internal temperature. Remove from the cooker. When the meat is cool enough to handle, separate the meat from the bones. Discard the skin and bones. Shred meat by hand.
- Toss the onions in a little olive oil and 1-2 tablespoons Chili Dawg’s Chipotle Seasoning in a half size foil pan. Place in the cooker. Cook until onions are tender and translucent, but not mushy, about 30-45 minutes. Remove from the cooker and increase the temperature to 400°F.
- Combine the shredded chicken with the onions, black beans and pepper jack cheese and mix well. Taste the mixture and add salt if necessary. Scoop about 3/4 cup of the mixture onto one half of a tortilla and spread evenly. Fold the tortilla over in half to enclose the filling. Repeat until the filling is gone.
- Grill the quesadillas directly on the main cooking grate of the grill. Brown both sides. Remove. Serve with sour cream and Holme’s Made Marty’s Green Chile Salsa.
Cutting the backbone out to prepare the bird spatchcock style. For full instructions, check out our video here!
Just the BEST way to roast a chicken. Keeps the meat super tender and juicy!
Very simple sliced onions, a little seasoning and oil, and the grill does all the rest.
When grilling your quesadillas you’ve got to go with the fold technique. By folding one tortilla over the filling you can simply flip the quesadilla with the fold on the bottom, so you don’t have to worry about losing any filling.
- Serving Size
- 9.63 oz
- per serving
- 22 grams
- 74 grams
- 36 grams
- 515 milligrams