Chef Britt recreates one of her favorite fair foods: Smoked Turkey Legs. She gets the Yoder Smokers Wichita Loaded Offset fired up and shows you how it’s done.
Smoked Turkey Legs
Indulge in the classic fair food, crafted to perfection! Chef Britt demonstrates how to make succulent smoked turkey legs on an offset smoker, delivering an irresistible flavor and texture.
1 package Cattleman’s Grill Butcher House Brine
- 5 quarts water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dales meat seasoning (you can also substitute soy sauce or Worcestershire)
- One dozen young turkey legs, or a half dozen large turkey legs
Spray Duck Fat
BBQ rub of choice - here are a few suggestions
Kim's Gourmet Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce, or BBQ sauce of choice
For the brine:
Other optional ingredients:
To make the brine:
Combine all ingredients for brine until fully dissolved and place turkey legs into brine completely submerged. Allow them to brine for 6 hours minimum or up to 24 hours.
To set your smoker:
- Set up your Yoder Smokers offset smoker to roll at roughly 275°F using hickory wood.
- Attain this by heating up a chimney full of charcoal.
- For more advice on maintaining heat on your offset, check out the video on fire maintenance.
To smoke/finish the turkey legs:
- Before smoking, pat dry (for extra crispy skin dry overnight uncovered in the fridge).
- As an option, spray with duck fat, and coat with BBQ rub of choice. Chef Britt does not use this method in her video, but it is a great way to get extra BBQ flavor.
- Smoke for 2-3 hours, depending on the size of the turkey legs until they reach an internal temperature of 165-170°F. About 10-20 degrees short of the final temperature, glaze the legs with a sauce of your choice (in the video, Chef Britt uses Kim's Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce.)
- For that fair festival feel, and as an option, wrap in foil and hold in a warming container (such as a steam table or your smoker that is cooling down) until ready to consume.
- Serving Size
- 8 oz
- per serving
- 3 grams
- 66.4 grams
- 12.4 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4.1 grams
- 390 milligrams
- 2.9 grams
- 173 milligrams