Experience the delicious taste of slow-smoked whole suckling pig with this Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill recipe.
Smoked Suckling Pig
Rated 4.5 stars by 2 users
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 250ºF.
- Trim any organs, glands, silver skin and/or stringy materials from the cavity of the pig. Optionally, trim away the skin around the hams and shoulder to reveal the flesh of the meat for better seasoning.
- To make the injection combine two parts Smoke on Wheels Pork Marinade/Injection with one part Plowboys BBQ Tarheel Tang. Strain to remove any larger ingredients that will clog the injector.
- Load the injection liquid into a pistol grip injector. From open cavity, inject the hams, shoulders, loins (on the opposite side of the ribs, at the sides of backbone) and anywhere else that the meat will hold injection.
- Wipe excess moisture from the surface with a towel.
- Season with Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub, only where the flesh of the pig is visible, not on the skin.
- Transfer to the main cooking grate of the grill. Position the pig sitting upright, with it’s hind legs under the body and front legs stretched out in front of the body. This is the “racing style.” Start with the hams over the firebox.
- Place probes in the hams and shoulders to monitor the internal temperature.
- Cook for about 2.5 - 3 hours, then rotate the pig to position the shoulders over the firebox. Spray the skin with duck fat to give it a nice shine, and help with the browning.
- Continue cooking until the internal reaches 195ºF in the hams and shoulders (about 7 hours total), spinning the pig as needed to keep the temperature even at both ends. You can also continue to spray the pig with the duck fat occasionally.
- Remove the pig from the grill. Let rest 30 minutes before picking the meat.
- Cut alongside the spine, then down the sides of the ribs toward the cavity to create a large flat of skin that can be peeled down to reveal the meat. Pick the meat from the belly, ribs, hams, shoulders and all other areas. Shred the meat and top with Plowboys BBQ Tarheel Tang Sauce to serve.
- Serving Size
- 4 oz
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 1 grams
- 97 grams
- 33 grams
- 247 milligrams