Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill and smokes a Creekstone Farms Duroc Pork Butt using the popular brisket cooking technique known as the "foil boat." This is Foil Boat Pork Butt
Foil Boat Pork Butt
Chef Tom utilizes the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to smoke a Creekstone Farms Duroc Pork Butt using the highly-rated Foil Boat technique.
- Before beginning to trim the pork butt, feel around the roast and trim any small bone fragments or hard cartilage that may be left on the surface. Remove all of the fat cap to expose the meat. Flip the butt over and trim any excess fat on the surface. Find the seam near the bone side. Begin to pull the crevice open and carefully cut in-between the two muscles. Trim the excess fat, connective tissue and anything that is not meat from the inside of the opening.
- Rub the surfaces of the pork with a thin layer of oil (to bind the rub to the meat). Season first with Plowboy’s BBQ Yardbird Rub, then Lane’s BBQ Cubano Seasoning.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 190ºF, set up for smoking/indirect grilling.
- Place the pork butt on the second shelf of the grill, next to the smoke stack. Smoke overnight (about 10 hours).
- In the morning, remove the pork butt from the smoker. Increase the grill temperature to 275ºF.
- Place on top of two large sheets of foil. Turn up the edges of the foil to contain the braising liquid.
- Mix together the pineapple juice, vegetable stock and tamari soy sauce in a cup or marinade shaker. Pour into the foil. Form the foil tightly around the base of the pork butt, leaving the top 2/3 of the pork exposed.
- Return the foil boat pork butt to the smoker and cook until the pork is tender enough to pull, about 6 more hours). The internal temperature will be around 200ºF, and the blade bone inside the roast should easily pull out of the meat.
- Shred the meat with (cotton and nitrile) gloved hands and toss in the braising liquid in the bottom of the foil boat.
- Serving Size
- 4 oz
- per serving
- 1 grams
- 195 grams
- 66 grams
- 1487 milligrams