Say aloha to your new favorite smoky snack. Chef Tom brings us Smoked Spam Musubi on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill!
Smoked Spam Musubi
Say aloha to the ultimate smoky snack! Chef Tom's Smoked Spam Musubi recipe is full of flavor, making it the perfect addition to any party table!
- 1 can low sodium Spam
1 1/2 cups Kim’s Gourmet Bourbon-Aki Sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2/3 cup green onions, sliced
- 8 eggs
- Nori seaweed
- 2 cups Sushi rice (short grain)
- 2 cups water, plus more for rinsing
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp Noble Saltworks Smoked Maple Turbinado Sugar
1 tbsp Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Salt
Kim’s Gourmet Bourbon-Aki Sauce, for serving
- Slice the spam into 8 equal slabs. Place in a shallow dish or zip top bag.
- Combine the Kim’s Gourmet Bourbon-Aki Sauce and rice vinegar. Mix well. Add the green onions and blend with a hand blender. Pour over the sliced spam and toss to coat all surfaces. Marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Make the sushi rice. Place the rice in a container and cover with water. Swirl the rice around then strain. Repeat this process until the water is clear, 3-4 times. Combine the rice and 2 cups water in a medium sauce pan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, but keep covered for 10 minutes more. Combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and mix. Fold the vinegar mixture into the rice. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 225ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
- Remove the sliced spam from the marinade and place directly on the second shelf of the smoker. Smoke for 30 minutes. For a crispier texture, finish by pan searing the spam slices.
- Whisk together the eggs. Heat an oiled Lodge Logic 12” Cast Iron Skillet over medium-low. Spray the surface with Cornhusker Kitchen Spray Duck Fat. Add the scrambled eggs. Cover the skillet with a lid and let cook without stirring. When the eggs are cooked through, remove from heat.
- Using a Musubi mold (or the top half of a spam can), stuff a layer of the cooked rice into the mold and press to form an even rectangle. It helps to work with wet hands and a wet mold. Cut a rectangle of egg to match the size of the rice, and place over the rice. Top with a slice of spam. Place all three items in the center of a strip of nori. Wrap the seaweed around the fillings. Wet the ends of the seaweed and place the seam on the bottom of the Musubi.
- Serve the Smoked Spam Musubi with more Kim’s Bourbon-Aki Sauce, for dipping.
- Serving Size
- 9.3 oz
- per serving
- 57 grams
- 22 grams
- 29 grams
- 1697 milligrams