Smoked French Dip Sandwich
You asked for it, and we heard you! It’s the Smoked French Dip Sandwich. Chef Tom brings you this classic roast beef sandwich, with a flavor packed jus!
- 1 (4 lb) beef bottom round roast
1/2 cup Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-tip Seasoning
1/4 cup Kozlik’s Dijon Classique Mustard
- 12 cloves garlic
Spray Duck Fat
- 4 cups yellow onion, large dice
- 2 cups carrots, large dice
- 2 cups celery, large dice
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef stock
1/2 cup John Henry’s Cuz’n Buddy’s Marinade
- French rolls
- Provolone cheese
Kozlik’s Dijon Classique Mustard
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 400ºF set up for indirect grilling. Place a Lodge Cast Iron Fish Pan on the grill to preheat.
- Place the Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-tip Seasoning, Kozlik’s Dijon Classique Mustard and garlic cloves in a small food processor and blitz until the garlic is broken up. Add a tablespoon of Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed, to help break down the mixture.
- Score the surface of the roast about 1/4” deep in a crosshatch pattern on the top and bottom of the roast. Rub the seasoning paste into the roast, filling the scores with the seasoning. Let rest in the refrigerator while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- When you have all ingredients assembled, take everything out to the grill. Pour a few tablespoons of Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the pan. Sear the roast on all sides until browned, then remove from the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, thyme and bay leaves to the pan and stir to mix, scraping up the fond from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Place the beef roast on top of the bed of veggies. Add the beef stock and John Henry’s Cuz’n Buddy’s Marinade.
- Turn the heat down to 250ºF and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 125ºF, about 2 hours 45 minutes.
- Remove the roast from the pan. Cover with foil and rest at least 20 minutes. Slice the beef very thin.
- Strain the liquid from the pan. Discard the solids. Transfer the jus to a pan to keep warm.
- Slice your French rolls horizontally. Dip each half, cut side down, in the warm jus. Dip a portion of the beef in the warm jus and place on the bottom bun. Place the provolone on the beef. Spread your Kozlik’s Dijon Classique Mustard on the top bun and place over the cheese.
- Serving Size
- 5.4 oz
- per serving
- 14 grams
- 63 grams
- 20 grams
- 1768 milligrams