Smoked Cheesy Broccoli
Imagine if broccoli cheese soup thickened up, found a bread crumb crust and jumped out of the bowl and onto your plate as a side dish. Read on!
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 1/2 lb thick sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 lb smoked cheddar, grated
- 1 cup grated parmesan, divided
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 400ºF.
- Preheat a Lodge 7 quart dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the bacon until slightly crispy. Remove the bacon from the dutch oven, but leave the fat behind. Add the sliced onions and about 1 tablespoon of Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub. Cook until the onions are softened and begin to turn translucent. Add the garlic and cook one minute more. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the cheddar, one handful at a time, whisking constantly, until it is all incorporated. Add the cooked, diced bacon, the broccoli florets and half of the parmesan, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased Lodge 12” cast iron skillet. Top the mixture with the breadcrumbs and then remaining parmesan. Transfer the skillet to the second shelf of the grill. Bake until the topping begins to brown, and the filling is bubbling up through the topping, about 45 minutes.
Cooking the onions down in the bacon fat is a pro move. We cheated a little, making our roux (the thickening agent) on the fly. Stirring the flour right in with the onions is a great way to save yourself some time and mess.
After the liquids are added, slowly sprinkle in your smoky cheese, to form a nice, thick cheese sauce.
One last dusting of cheese and bread crumbs, and then it’s off to the grill!
This recipe was prepared on a Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill.
- Serving Size
- 10.84 oz
- per serving
- 25 grams
- 33 grams
- 46 grams
- 1068 milligrams