Skillet Cinnamon Roll
You may have noticed that we love our cast iron. That's because you can cook just about anything you'd prepare in your oven or on your stove top in cast iron. That includes baked goods. Today we're repurposing canned biscuits to make one big cinnamon roll!
- 2 (16 oz) tubes biscuits
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp half and half or milk
- 1 tbsp bourbon (or vanilla extract)
For the frosting:
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 350°F, set up for indirect grilling.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Melt the butter in a separate small bowl. Remove the biscuits from the packages. Using a rolling pin, roll each one flat. Dip each biscuit in the melted butter, let the excess drip off then dip the biscuit in the cinnamon sugar mixture coating both sides. Shake off the excess.
- Roll each biscuit and place along the perimeter of a Lodge Logic 12” cast iron skillet. Repeat the process and lay the next rolled biscuit next to the previous one, spiraling toward the center of the skillet, forming one big cinnamon roll. Transfer to the second shelf of the grill.
- Bake until biscuits in the center are cooked through, about 40-50 minutes.
- While the cinnamon roll bakes, prepare the frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter. Using the paddle attachment, beat until all lumps are gone. Add the half and half and bourbon. Continue mixing until incorporated.
- Pipe or spread the frosting over the cake and slice to serve.
We start by flattening the biscuits...
Then a butter bath!
Dredged in cinnamon sugar and rolled up. Then into the skillet.
A cinnamon roll make of cinnamon rolls. Dude.
A little cream cheese. A little powdered sugar. A little cream and a little bourbon. Cream cheese deliciousness!
This recipe was prepared on a Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill.
- Serving Size
- 6.94 oz
- per serving
- 90 grams
- 7 grams
- 38 grams
- 849 milligrams