Savory Apple Fennel Tart
Juicy apples and caramelized onions come together to create a beautiful and savory tart. This appetizer is a unique and delicious twist on a classic recipe.
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced very thin
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup melted onions
- 1 pie crust, approx. 12" diameter
- 1/8 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- fennel fronds for garnish
- 4 yellow onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp salt
- parchment paper
- Combine sliced apples, fennel, lemon juice and sugar in a bag. Toss to coat ingredients. Remove all air from the bag, seal and store in the fridge for at least an hour. Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 (or other cooker) to 400°F, set up for indirect grilling. You will need a baking stone, salt plate or other surface for baking on.
- Dust a pizza peel with corn meal. Place your pie dough on the peel. Spread the melted onions over the dough, leaving room to turn up the edges. Pile the apples and fennel on top of the onions. Turn up the edges of the dough, folding sections inward to contain the filling. Transfer the tart to the cooker. Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until crust is golden brown and cooked through.
- Top tart with crumbled blue cheese and fennel fronds. Slice and serve.
Cut parchment paper to fit as a lid on a saucepan. Combine ingredients in the saucepan. Place parchment directly on top of the onions. Cook over low heat for 2-3 hours (depending on your stove top), stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized and "melted" in appearance/texture. Cool, cover and store in fridge. This step can also be prepared in a slow cooker set on low.
- Serving Size
- 15.61 oz
- per serving
- 49 grams
- 5 grams
- 27 grams
- 2094 milligrams