Salted Honey Custard Pie
If you love pie and crème brûlée, this is the perfect dessert for you! The custard base is essentially what you’d find in crème brûlée, except that we replaced the sugar with Kansas wildflower honey and the vanilla with bourbon!
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 375°F, set up for indirect grilling.
- Bring the heavy cream and cardamom to a boil in a small pot. Immediately remove from the heat, or it will quickly boil over.
- While the cream warms, combine the yolks and honey in a mixing bowl. Whisk well to incorporate.
- Slowly drizzle the hot cream into the yolk mixture, a little at a time, while whisking. The more cream is incorporated, the more quickly you can add the cream, but take your time.
- When all cream is incorporated, whisk in the bourbon.
- Press your pie crust into a 9” pie pan. Add the filling. Transfer to the second shelf of the grill. Bake until the top is browned, and center is still jiggly, but not liquid, about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge.
- Slice and serve drizzled with more wildflower honey and Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Salt.
The most essential step for any custard, is tempering the eggs. Hot cream is added SLOWLY to the egg mixture to make sure the temperature of the eggs increases slowly and doesn’t cause the eggs to cook into lumps.
Use your favorite flaky pie dough recipe, or in a pinch, grab a pre-made crust from the grocery store.
Cooked to perfection on the Yoder Smokers pellet grill, as usual!
- Serving Size
- 6.4 oz
- per serving
- 33 grams
- 6 grams
- 25 grams
- 195 milligrams